Sign in to follow this  
dearjohn

An other "need advice on new set" topic (new iMac)

Hello!

I know that there are some of these topics floating around but I'd really like some advice on a new set for motion graphics.

Currently I'm working on an 2008 Mac pro

2x quadcore xeon 2.26ghz

20GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

I'm thinking about the new Imac with the

I7 3.4ghz processor

32GB ram

And the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5 video card

version

But I'm not sure if the iMac is the best choice at the moment.

I want to stay on an mac set and don't think I can wait an other year for the rumours an a new mac pro. Because this set really has had it's best time... :)

Hope some one can give me some advice about this choice.

Thanks

Dennis

I think its the best option in the mac world today unless your are rendering from C4D a lot and need those extra cores.

Thanks for the comment, forgot to mention that I'm using it mostly for c4d and AE.There is a lot of rendering in c4d but we also use external render farms like rebus if necessary.Do you think there will be a lot of loss in render power with the new I7 processor compared to 2 "old" xeon processors?I was actually hoping that the new i7 would be more efficient

Geekbench scores are thoroughly unimpressive: http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

I was hoping for at least a mid-range between my 2011 17" Macbook Pro & the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) I work on

but it's barely better than last years iMac. Seems making it thin was more important than making it powerful.

I was going to get it if but I think I'm going to hold off for the hope of a Mac Pro late 2013.

If you wanted to go the iMac route I almost wonder if you'd be just as well off getting last years model &

saving the money for something else.

If you wanted to go the iMac route I almost wonder if you'd be just as well off getting last years model &

saving the money for something else.

Except for no NVIDIA. Would speed things up a bit for any Adobe Ae/Pr work.

so basically.. If i'm going to stay on a mac.. I have to wait to get a new set for at least an other year..

And "hope" the mac pro get's an update..

The benchmarks aren't that much higher for the new imac compared to my current set.. seems like a waste of money

The iMac is really just a laptop in a different form factor.

Your best bet will be to drop a hacked GTX card off ebay into your mac pro and do a completely fresh OS install. Maybe get an SSD for the system drive. That will basically get your machine up to the max you can within the Apple world.

The iMac is really just a laptop in a different form factor.

Your best bet will be to drop a hacked GTX card off ebay into your mac pro and do a completely fresh OS install. Maybe get an SSD for the system drive. That will basically get your machine up to the max you can within the Apple world.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll go that route for now.. any suggestion to which gtx card should work on a mac pro? And what exactly do you mean by hacked? (hacked in AE for cuda to work?)

Hacked in order for Macs to use them, and yes to making it cuda-enabled. I think it just means they flash the chipset to make Macs think its a quadro card.

Search for GTX mac pro on ebay and most posts will have instructions.

I started a thread about this a month or three back, you should be able to find it. If you install mountain lion you can run a GTX570 and few other GTX cards with no hacks even though they are not "officially" supported by apple.

Been using the GTX570 for a while now and it works well. I honestly have found mountain lion to be an irritating OS and haven't really noticed any speed benefits, but was worth the install for the benefits of the GTX card.

Edited by anothername

Be sure to read the descriptions of each card carefully though. Some, especially the newer ones, need additional power that the Mac Pro doesn't provide. In such a case, you would need to have an additional ugly power supply dangling around your mac and wired in somehow. I'd just avoid that whole situation entirely if you can, and just get a card that can run without additional 12v lines.

I am still wondering about this myself. I have seen octo-core Macpros going for $1500 while a new juiced up iMac w/ 4 cores is twice that. If you are rendering in C4D, it seems like more core = more happy, no?

-gl

get a ssd for the system, a life changer.

ditto

I put an SSD in my home computer a few weeks ago. HUGE performance boost.

You don't need to buy the super expensive drives. Even a mid-priced SSD will leave a fast mechanical drive in the dust.