Sign in to follow this  
pamacado

Is anyone working in the USA under a H1-B VISA?

i was going to work under E3 visa ( H1 for australians) but the company that was going to sponsor me went out of business (lead artists left with all the clients) while the paperwork was being processed...

ye most companies didnt want to sponsor me, even those that reached out to me initially. Its mostly a contractor type field.

eventually i found someone through a friend of a friend.

as far as expensive. I hear the H1 visa can be expensive. the E3 tho is only a couple of hundred dollars.

I'm working under a TN-1 (canadian equivalent, though with fewer requirements, and much easier to get) and have a friend working under an H1B.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you have the qualifications for the visa itself. I'm not sure about the exact details on the H1-B, but I'd assume it's similar to the TN-1. For that, you need either a degree in design and 2 years industry experience or 4 years industry experience (in both cases you'll need letters of recommendation from former employers or clients).

Finding a company to sponsor you is a different matter, and in big cities you'll probably have a hard time finding any companies that produce decent quality work willing to do it, as they usually use contractors.

One alternative to this is finding a staffing agency that's willing to sponsor you. It's a high cost, as you'll have to pay for your visa out of pocket, and they'll be taking a cut off of everything you earn, and you'll also be paying for your own employer's tax. The bonus is that it allows you to act as a freelancer in the US, and if you're any good, you'll probably end up making more than a salary position despite all the extra costs.