Sign in to follow this  
dearjohn

workflow on projects

Hello!
I'm a bit curious about workflows on projects with tight deadlines. Hope you guys want to share some insights with me :)

In a perfect world in my opinion a global workflow on a project should be something like:

-Script / storyboard

-Voice over text writing

-Style frames and/or short animation preview for look and feel

-Sign off on script and style

-Recording voice over

-Start animation

-Preview

-Revision (if necessary repeat)

-Final

(I know this is not set in stone and also could depend on the project)

Now sometimes or most times deadlines are to tight and we jump some of these steps and end up in a situation where the voice over text / script is still being written wile I'm already animating on a first but not final version af the script. And I afterward have to re-time (time-remap) the animation on a final voice over recording.. Or in some worse case scenarios they added or removed things in the text that a somehow have to add / remove in-between.

How do you guys handle these kind of situation, do you insist on a final script before starting animating or do you adjust the animation afterwards / in-between? Which sometimes cost much more time than would be necessary.

Thanks, Dennis

I am actually just finishing up a project where I got the script/VO three days before the deadline on a month-long project. It's been a bit of a struggle (read: complete pain in the ass) because not having a script meant I was stabbing in the dark timing-wise and it was impossible to make sure what I was doing made any kind of sense. All I could do was keep asking the producer for it and reminding them that without a script we were flying blind. It didn't help that we had music that offered no real cues. What I got was an incredibly generic, vague script with very little reference to what we were seeing on screen, which I guess is what you get when you do the script last. There's a second round of this project coming up soon and I am insisting on a locked script before we start storyboarding or anything, but I also insisted on a locked script on the first round too, so we'll see what happens.

At the end of the day, the client is going to do whatever the hell they want and all you can do is remind them that they're causing problems and wasting time and money by not getting you the things you need. Sometimes this works but in my experience, most of the time they don't care. It's important to cover your ass and call it out early and often though - that way it can't be blamed on you. My $.02

R

The logistics of every project is different. Trying to come up with a standard order of events like that will cause more problems than it would help.

Look at the budget, timeline, shoot dates, scheduled VO, etc and write up a custom timeline for each gig.

But once you have that timeline in place, get the client to sign off on things, so it pushes schedule and increases required budget if they fail to deliver something in time, such as approved script for VO.