Sign in to follow this  
destro

PS4 reveal is live

Watched the live stream off Game Trailers. Pretty siked on seeing some previews of the upcoming games. Allz I got to say is the graphics on some of those games look fucking amazing. They usually always look quite amazing with these events to blow you away & then sometimes the find out later that they have to tone it down a bit cause they usually build the game on a PC with similar specs, but when they finally get the proper PS4 machine to work with, they would have some cases of bringing back the game CPUs (or GPUs?) usage.

Edited by jaypeeare

Strategically, I can't make any sense of why they chose now to hold a release conference. I am assuming that they got some insider info on the new Xbox, realized they aren't up to par and wanted to generate some hype before Xbox officially releases their details rather than coming up short from the get-go.

The controller is the only thing I have seen that is solid info, not that its even all that great. I will likely never, ever use the touch pad nor that share button.

BTW - they kinda contradicted themselves in that apple-esque promo video in regard to the share button functionality. Is it essentially a record button and records from the time pressed onward, or does it record the last _x_ amount of time "after you have an epic moment" like the phantom does? If the latter - fine, I get it. It would be a shame if its just a record button though.

Facebook integration? Please stop. Everyone. Apple, Microsoft... everyone. Just stop. Facebook is becoming a slum as it is. After everyone shares there every software install, game level achievement, etc - it will just be a complete automated-posting junkyard. I don't understand why Facebook is allowing the trend to continue.

I don't doubt that the PS4 will be a significant leap from the PS3 and, especially in Japan, it will sell just fine but specs still read years behind current PCs.

Time will tell, I guess. I hear from within the developer community that the only reason PS3 lost to Xbox in the US was because authoring titles for it was a complete pain in the ass, which they seem to be addressing heavily this time around.

Time will tell, I guess. I hear from within the developer community that the only reason PS3 lost to Xbox in the US was because authoring titles for it was a complete pain in the ass, which they seem to be addressing heavily this time around.

Also the cell processor in the PS3 made it real hard for developers to make games so they would default to developing on the Xbox 360. I guess it was a good idea at first to have the cell processor, it probably promised a lot of potential with the hope that in time they would eventually figure out how to use it to the fullest extent but never happened over the years after it's release.

I read somewhere the Cell processor was originally designed to be a high end image processor. Great for decoding data files into pretty pictures but not so good for running games. Going to the standard x86 CPUs for the PS4 was a no-brainer.

I've got a PS3 and a PC. I'm gonna have to choose if I want to get a PS4 or go 100% PC. I don't know yet. Laying back on the couch is a big bonus for consoles.

Laying back on the couch is a big bonus for consoles.

More than a bonus. Its the only reason I game on a console.

Watching me try to use a mouse in any way is a sad sight, and games aren't Wacom friendly.

I've got a PS3 and a PC. I'm gonna have to choose if I want to get a PS4 or go 100% PC. I don't know yet. Laying back on the couch is a big bonus for consoles.

Just hook up your PC to your TV, hook it up to a 360 controller, and use Steam in big picture mode.

Big picture makes steam quite easy to navigate using a controller, and all of valves games are now optimized for controller support.

For anyone in this industry you should have a computer that can pump out better graphics than any console.

Just hook up your PC to your TV, hook it up to a 360 controller, and use Steam in big picture mode.

Big picture makes steam quite easy to navigate using a controller, and all of valves games are now optimized for controller support.

For anyone in this industry you should have a computer that can pump out better graphics than any console.

Almost all the gaming I do is multi-player FPS and almost all of that is Battlefield 3.

The problem with the PC is if I use a controller from the couch and other people are playing with a keyboard/mouse I'm at a huge disadvantage. With the consoles everyone is playing with more or less the same gear.

I have played a couple of single-player games on my PC through the TV and with a wireless game pad. In comparison the PS3s performance looks exactly like what it is...7 years old.

I tend to wonder if the SHARE button won't be implemented on a per game basis. Some games may make it a recording buffer-like thing as used in GTA4 on PC or yes the Phantom Camera, but others may use it as just a button to bring open pre-edited videos or full games you just played. I would think that needs to be a game decision. Unless it's a systemic process like it's always capturing frames on output to it's GPU card or whatever.

In the time I had my big PC gaming rig b4 I gave it away, I would still find myself gaming on the PS3 more often. On my PC I had BF3 on 3 screens with crazy high framerate and details and a sweet gaming mouse and game glove. It made the PS3 look like PacMan. However, I always came back to vegging on the couch chatting with all my friends who have consoles. Like the game experience on the PC was 1000x better, but the veg/social aspect of the console often won out. SO, I don't regret giving it away and will happily transition to the PS4 hoping it can give me more of a combination of both worlds.

MY big question is for GTA5. I am JONZING for that game to come out. But if it was only made for PS3, it will be weird that we will have it for only a month or two before trying to ditch the PS3 and sell a child on the black market to get a PS4 before xmas. In this man's dreams they have been co-devolping it for both consoles concurrently.

I just hope every day though I can finally buy a toilet with Facebook social sharing. It gets laborious uploading photos and schedules of all my proud turds that are being wasted by only being viewed with my own eyes.