Sign in to follow this  
annalord

After Effects 3D pre-comp flattening once color effects are applied on top

I have a comp setup with a planet that has many asteroids orbiting the planet, the way I set everything up, there is an animation of a single asteroid orbiting in 3D put inside of a pre-comp with Collapse Transformations enabled, and then I duplicate that pre-comp many times and shift around it's position to make it look like there are many asteroids in orbit- all this works beautifully, the asteroids pass behind the planet in 3d and then orbit back around perfectly- BUT if I throw an effect ontop of the pre-comp such as a a Hue/Saturation effect it's as if Collapse Transformations was never enabled and the layer becomes 2D again (the asteroids no longer pass behind the planet properly in 3d space)

How can I apply effects such as color correction to pre-comps and have them maintain their 3D qualities?

That can be annoying alright, workaround is to do the adjustments in the meteor comp, which can be annoying if you want lots of different looks..

Just a thought and not at AE to try it at the moment but could you make an adjustment layer and then use 'set matte' or something like that to only affect the area where that layer is?