Sign in to follow this  
solid

Wellington Mograph Meet Up

I'd been considering a move to Wellington a while ago - my partner landed a job at Weta, but I wasn't sure what kind of work there was there for a mograph generalist. What's the scene like right now? Any good studios on the radar?

I work in Auckland at the mo. I did look at wellington when i first moved to NZ but at the time there wasn't a whole lot going on in Wellington then. I'd be interested in hearing what its like down there now? If i lived there, i'd def be in

What's up guys! Well, to be honest I'm not that sure myself really. All I'm sure of is that there is still a lot more work in Auckland right now. I came to Wellington because I really just didn't enjoy Auckland. I found a full time gig at a social media agency here and it has been going well. I wish there was more Mograph stuff going on down here. It's definitely the right sort of environment to support this sort of stuff! Honestly, Auckland needs to go **** itself IMO. It is such a vortex. All mograph artists should move to Welly :P

I haven't met a single other motion designer yet. There are a few ad agencies that do motion graphics but by the sounds of it they mainly hire freelance.

Assembly and other awesome businesses. Move to Wellington. Please. That's all I want for christmas.

Or you guys can move down and we can take over the world with wacom tablets and computers. Direct from the humble city of Wellington.

Any Auckland meetups?

Edited by solid

Assembly and other awesome businesses. Move to Wellington. Please. That's all I want for christmas.

Wellington is where the bulk of government and film work is. Auckland is the commercial capital so it looks like all you're getting for Christmas is a lump of coal.

Freelancing is where you'll meet lots of people doing interesting things.

Wellington is where the bulk of government and film work is. Auckland is the commercial capital so it looks like all you're getting for Christmas is a lump of coal.

Freelancing is where you'll meet lots of people doing interesting things.

I don't even know how freelancing would go down here to be honest. It's really disappointing that the ugly city gets all the creative work. What a pity.

Its a small country right at the bottom of the world. What can you do? I moved from london to here, and really enjoy the way of life. But even in Auckland the projects aren't as good as they are back in London or the states. Like you say theres some really good company's doing great work - such as assembly but they're small.

Aucklands actually not such a bad place. I didn't like it much when i first moved here, but theres so much awesome stuff on your doorstep - beaches for summer, mountains for winter. After 6 months of living there i had to admit i actually like the place, think it takes time to find the cool stuff.

If i had my way i'd be working in Wanaka or Queenstown, but theres no way i could really do motion graphics there : )

Well my opinion is just based on living in a small apartment for a whole year and working really big weeks (I was studying at Media Design School). I got really sick of where I was living and my day to day routine. And the city center is really gay. I'm sure that once you get out into the suburbs its a bit better. Maybe. I still reallllly love Wellington and I don't think I'll be moving any time soon.

So what made you move from London to NZ? Where were you working and where are you working now?