Sign in to follow this  
rollowenlock

Startup 'what are we?' video for WIP, a new way to share and review work-in-progress videos

Another use case to seriously consider is what WireDrive is positioned for.

I see a lot of people using wiredrive to archive all of their spots. When a potential gig comes in a few spots are put together for a presentation for review. I see editorial houses pitching a couple of their editors in that way, with a few select spots that match the style needed from each editor in their own presentation slides. I also see production companies using wiredrive for posting casting sessions and dailies for review.

It doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles features, but its clean, elegant, and easy for anyone to understand.

The same can be done with PostSpots in a sense, but what is so nice about wiredrive is that you essentially have a media bin and can make custom collections to send out.

I don't think you need annotation for that. If you structure things like wiredrive, you can charge much more money. Those guys are a bit pricey.

I think what we are finding here is that everyone has their own workflows and its hard to make a package that really suits everyone. If you actually make a bunch of features and let users piecemeal their own packages / suites of features for a few bucks per month each, I think you will vastly broaden your potential user base. Each of the other options seem to only work for very particular use cases / workflows.

So.. maybe someone like C Smith will only sign up for a media storage / presentation use to post casting sessions or dailies, and not paying for / having access to annotation or commenting tools. Someone who makes a lot of blue collar B2B sales presentations will omit the gallery / collection offering and just have a place to post a video and receive annotations. Maybe you have a little button down there that lets the commercial director add annotation to that particular post for a couple of bucks, which might actually be useful that rare time around for him for whatever reason.

Just throwing ideas out there. I know you have your focus and I'm not trying to throw a grenade into the roadmap you have built up. I just think that if done right, such an approach could be fresh, new, and powerful. Right now, its feeling a bit like more of the same in terms of what is already out there.

Edited by AromaKat

Another use case to seriously consider is what WireDrive is positioned for.

Wiredrive looks cool. I like all the work they've done around showing people how to use it, and the funny company video, but man they are expensive! No wonder they only have 950 customers...

We're here to help everyone else do what these more expensive options allow.

Although we don't want to become 'everything to everyone', we are going to host a suite of powerful and super simple to use tools.

WIP is a service providing a suite of features within one web application.

• Uploading, encoding and hosting of video media
  • Version tracking for multiple iterations of the same video
  • Automatic collation of comments in to a to-do list
  • Support for media to play across all devices
  • Private and secure sharing of video media
  • Contextual commenting directly on top of the video
  • Work flow management for each video project
  • Archiving of completed projects into the cloud
  • Embedding and streaming archived video

We're disrupting the old and expensive model that software like Cinesync, Wiredrive, Shotgun, Pix etc have as a 'premium' service and offer it to everyone who makes videos at around $29 p/m.

Fully secure (256SSL), HD, instant streaming and completely integrated as a project management tool.

For any of you who have been on WIP, we have a major release tomorrow where you'll get a taste of whats to come. I'll keep you updated.

Rollo to answer the price question. Around 20$ USD/month and I don't think about it too much I just go for it. Once you start getting closer 40$ still might be in but start shopping around to compare with other competing solutions. Once you get over 40$ I start thinking about how useful this is to my studio vs. a few seats of shotgun or buying an extra machine for the renderfarm.

In terms of security are you inviting people on a per video basis? Or do you set up client groups with permissions as in basecamp? Do you set the clients password or do they? Can you stop someone's access to a video once invited?

Anyhow for what it's worth you've got me interested to try it. AT 29$/mo it's an easy decision to give it a shot.

Edited by anothername

Wiredrive looks cool. I like all the work they've done around showing people how to use it, and the funny company video, but man they are expensive! No wonder they only have 950 customers...

Wiredrive is definitely the standard. We happily pay every year. It is the standard way to send reels to producers and post work for clients for most production companies that I know of. Their client base is "small" but it's the top people in the business using it. Cost is negligible to us as we couldn't survive without it.

Wiredrive is definitely the standard. We happily pay every year. It is the standard way to send reels to producers and post work for clients for most production companies that I know of.

I would like to say we are going to challenge them, and get you as a customer over time. :)

Tell me anything you aren't happy with and we'll do it better in a new release soon.

Around 20$ USD/month and I don't think about it too much I just go for it.

At 29$/mo it's an easy decision to give it a shot.

This is great news, this is where we are going towards. A product for all us video and film makers.

In terms of security are you inviting people on a per video basis?

Yes, this will be the standard until we offer a service for teams to work together, then the permissions will get a little more tricky, but we'll endeavour to have it as a super simple UX.

It doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles features, but its clean, elegant, and easy for anyone to understand.

This is basically WIP. I love a quote from the guy who started twitter 'do less better'.

Thats us.

What do you guys think about us putting a feature into WIP where you can share your work-in-progress here on the forum and let others critique the work by writing directly on top of the video?

I constantly see people saying things like 'it was cool when the blue type came on, then it got weird around the 1 min mark, and then i was lost when the pelicans turned up'.

Imagine being able to be specific about what you are referring to?

The idea of making it easier to blindly get notes from The Committee is terrifying.

There should be a discussion, not a to-do list.

I'm an independent of almost four years. Work remotely from my office 99.9% of the time. Skype, phone calls, and coffee/lunch/drinks work for me. I like a conversation. It builds trust. They can listen to me pretend I know what I'm talking about and then think I know what I'm doing. By stripping out the conversation, you're saying that our thoughts don't matter and we're then, in turn, fully forfeiting direction and every single little willy nilly request to the client, who knows even less. Bad News Bears. It needs to be a back and forth.

I just did this huge ass project for Google in February and if we used this I'd probably still be working on their notes. These guys would go and make a fucking fuck ton of notes. (Red on shirt on girl, too red? Green? Blue? Is this font different than this font?) I'd have to call them and have a 20hr phone call to tell them why I did certain things, why my solutions were better, and why their ideas were stupid. Ultimately, I think what you're doing is convoluting the process.

Directors, designers, and animators need to be empowered and trusted, not further enslaved to the whims of a bunch of people that would rather make a bunch of comments on something and feel they have worth than do actual work...

Edited by palmer

Personally, I wouldn't use it with clients for the same reasons stated above.

That said, I think I might start using it with co-workers for small projects. It would be great for taking notes and designating tasks. It seems like a much more useful tool for project management than for gathering feedback.

The ability to frame through the video in the browser is also very useful, I wish more players supported this.

Edited by Spence

The idea of making it easier to blindly get notes from The Committee is terrifying.

I'm an independent of almost four years. Work remotely from my office 99.9% of the time. Skype, phone calls, and coffee/lunch/drinks work for me. I like a conversation. It builds trust. They can listen to me pretend I know what I'm talking about and then think I know what I'm doing. By stripping out the conversation, you're saying that our thoughts don't matter and we're then, in turn, fully forfeiting direction and every single little willy nilly request to the client, who knows even less. Bad News Bears. It needs to be a back and forth.

I just did this huge ass project for Google in February and if we used this I'd probably still be working on their notes. These guys would go and make a fucking fuck ton of notes. (Red on shirt on girl, too red? Green? Blue? Is this font different than this font?) I'd have to call them and have a 20hr phone call to tell them why I did certain things, why my solutions were better, and why their ideas were stupid. Ultimately, I think what you're doing is convoluting the process.

Directors, designers, and animators need to be empowered and trusted, not further enslaved to the whims of a bunch of people that would rather make a bunch of comments on something and feel they have worth than do actual work...

This brought a tear to my eye due to its being 1000% on target.

A fucking men.

I have been on a project that involves a huge comp that requires hours to render from AE. Its extremely heavy, and difficult to see anything in motion within AE. So each night, I set it to render and I review the output in the morning, noting tweaks that need to be made.

After spending forever on spreadsheets, trying to use our own project management system, etc I remembered this thing and started using that for notes.

It isn't shared with anyone. Nobody but me sees it. In fact, I just make the notes on screen, then copy + paste the to-do list that it makes into our own project management system. Its just faster than anything else at my disposal for jotting out such notes. And there are always a ton of notes each render. One fix breaks another kinda thing... So there are about 30-50 notes (of my own creation) each morning.

Just thought I'd share how I am using it. I'm not using it in the social way at all, and don't see myself ever doing so.

The amount of time those little bubbles are on screen are absolutely irritating and seemingly innacurrate though. I can't even utilize the video window once the notes are in, so I just copy the list then go elsewhere to paste the list in.