Sign in to follow this  
bpistone

College research...

I often have conversations with my students about college, and ask them to speak directly with students and alumni to get a good idea of the opportunities at the school, especially with internships. Twitter searches have been one of the best ways to reach out and find people at the different colleges who are willing to help out.

Do you have experience that you'd like to share? What was your method for looking into college programs?

I'm glad that I took a course that was very broad in terms of subject content, in the first year we learnt a bit of everything - film, photography, web design/development, graphic design, illustration. Then after that I could choose an area to focus on, which was motion graphics. This was good for me as it not only gave me skills in the related areas, but it meant that my love for motion graphics grew out of choosing what I liked doing best, rather than seeing cool stuff on TV and thinking that it's something I want to do, then realising I didn't actually enjoy the work involved when I was 3 years down the line.

When I chose my course however, there was not a single course that was just "motion graphics" in the country (UK in 2005), now there are too many to choose from, so I think the landscape has changed a fair bit in recent years. I'm glad I went somewhere that had dedicated and talented students to work with and good industry contacts - the teaching wasn't great but the other factors made up for it.

As far as internships are concerned, unpaid/ expenses internships shouldn't exist in my opinion but they probably always will. I was fortunate enough to be taken on for a reduced-wage trial period at my first job.