Sign in to follow this  
Sircharles

OSX lion

Hi I am running 10.6.8 on my macbook.

Should I upgrade to 10.7.5 - which I have a copy of?

I was putting it off as I saw alot of gymics in it..

Graham

Edited by Sircharles

Here's one reason I wish I didn't put it off for so long:

You know that time machine drive you keep backing up to? up until Lion that cannot be used as a boot drive in a recovery situation (ie your boot drive bricks like mine did last week). Lion and Mountain Lion see TM as a boot drive, my apple tech friend tells me...

In my case I had to buy Mountain Lion on my laptop (which had Lion installed anyway because its relatively new), create a bootable USB pen and go from there to get my mac pro up and running again. I lost no work, I don't keep anything on the boot drive anyway but I think I would have lost an hour rather than a whole friday night going through all that. I was being stubborn, but the new OSX's seem pretty ok actually once you turn off or reverse some of the stupid things (reverse scrolling, allow apps to run that were acquired elsewhere than the app store via preferences).

Everything seems fine for me (on mountain lion) especially since wacom finally updated their drivers properly.

Mavericks looks pretty good in future for dealing with multiple screens as well

Yeah and the best part of mountain lion that I've found out recently (not that it affects you too much) is native support for the majority of nvidia cards for the (current...) Mac Pro. Opens up a wider world! Affordable CUDA for all

Thanks fellas, I might hold out for 10.8 alright. I just had my doubts about lion mainly because of all the automatic features they were selling for Joe Public. - "when you open any program, it remembers exactly where you were" not a direct quote but something like that.

So that sets off alarm bells for me regards build up of caches and logs.

But I was unsure if Cs6 needed lion or was it just a 64 bit system, which I have.

Currently I'm on cs4.

Ta.

Edited by Sircharles