Sign in to follow this  
superegophobia

Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

Was reading up about it a bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act) and saw the state-based health insurance enrollment starts in October (coverage starts Jan 1st 2014). Will this help freelancers? Now that policies are starting to go into affect, how will the ACA affect the mograph industry in general?

Edited by superegophobia

My GF is a health care lawyer and has read the act in it's entirety. From what I understand it probably depends on where you live if it'll be super helpful or not, but the idea is to provide a lower-cost group rate option to individuals seeking their own health insurance, freelancers included (which I'm excited about). Not sure what the rates/details will be. Here in NYC we have the freelancer's union which provides group rate health insurance, but the coverage isn't wonderful and I'm hoping that ACA will have better coverage at similar rates. My faith in the health insurance companies is less than zero, so we'll see how effective it ends up being, but my fingers are crossed. I know NY state is currently working on implementing ACA quickly. Not sure about other states, particularly the less liberal ones.

Ultimately, I think it's going to be a good thing for everyone but I'm sure there will be growing pains.

R

So regarding the individual mandate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act#Insurance_exchanges_and_the_individual_mandate) is everyone required to get insurance to prevent the 'insurance death spiral' or only the ones in the states that are participating in the state-operated exchanges? i.e. based on that wiki map if you live in CA or NY in 2016 you'd have to get private/employee/state marketplace insurance or face a fine but in Texas it'd be more like the current private/employee system? I'm assuming the states that have exchanges would create more competition for private insurance companies and drive prices down for consumers.

I kinda zoned out during the health care debate since there was too much yelling rhetoric back and forth and not enough informed discussion. Seems like there is more and more of that these days on tv.

The debate was just political posturing as usual and should be ignored. If you want to read up on this thing I've been told that http://kff.org/health-reform/ is the place to go for that. I haven't had a chance to dig through it yet, but my GF swears by it and says it breaks things down pretty well and gives timelines and expectations for individuals and businesses.

R