Sign in to follow this  
Xaltotun

Nationwide health insurance for a freelancer?

I've been running into problems with my California based health insurance for moving around too much to stay on their plan. I split my time between the east coast and west coast and work in various cities, so I think some sort of national health insurance would be needed. Do any of you have experience with that?

Literally noone I've asked is on anything but an employer provided or state based plan. To make matters more complicated Obamacare is going to shake things up over the next few months. I thought maybe Blue Shield could do some sort of nationwide coverage since they're everywhere, but they tell me you need to pick a specific state and then reapply every time you move to a different state. From the companies I've talked to they tell me you need a permanent address and that's where your health insurance will be. That's what I was doing but it's caused me problems when I see a doctor in a different state.

No love for a wandering freelancer?

Edited by Xaltotun

travel insurance? worldnomads? Im insured world wide.

its not your regular health insurance, only covers emergencies.

but then again it might not cover you in your country of origin...

try searching for health insurance for expats or something.

travel insurance? worldnomads? Im insured world wide.

its not your regular health insurance, only covers emergencies.

but then again it might not cover you in your country of origin...

try searching for health insurance for expats or something.

Thanks for the tip, that worldnomads looks really handy for international travel, I'm going to look into that.

For this specific instance I meant within the United States though. The issue I've run into is that almost every insurance plan is based in a certain state so it you spend a lot of time out of state it causes problems. Or you get into even more issues if you change your mailing address around. I've talked to a couple places that recommend just using a national company where you can switch to state-specific plans every time you move around, but that's kind of an ordeal. Surely there's a better way.

Edited by Xaltotun

maybe try some credit cards? that could be cheaper, they include travel insurance, which may cover some medical for you. I heard american express has some hard core medical insurance on their more expensive cards. ( dont ask me where i heard it, maybe i imagined it)