Sign in to follow this  
MndlssOmssn

Cinema -> After Effects Stereoscopic workflow

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently doing my first project involving stereoscopic 3D. In terms of animation and contents it's quite simple but I'm struggling to find info on how to take my stereo renders from Cinema and build a composition in AE that lets me composite more assets into the 3D space.

I've built my scene and animated it in Cinema and am happy with the stereo effects in there. I now want to bring the scene in AE and add some flares and a couple of other elements in 3D space. I've discovered that the R13 AEC file doesn't export both left and right camera but I do have access to R14 so can get a complete AEC no problem. Where I am unsure is what to do with everything it imports into AE and how to set up my project?

If anyone could shed any light for me that would be amazing? The AEC brings in a left eye comp that contains both cameras, the png sequence and any nulls then also brings in a right eye comp solely containing the right eye png sequence. So my question is how do I set up all these assets so that I can composite into the stereo 3D space?

I've discovered the 'create stereo 3d rig' in after effects but don't know how to go about combining that with the Cinema Assets.

I hope I've not rambled too much, any advice would be amazing!

I usually make two comps - for the Left and Right eyes. Drop your C4D left/right cams in the corresponding comps along with the renders from each camera. You're basically going to have to duplicate all the stuff you generate in AE - one for the Left comp, one for the Right comp.

To get plugins/effects to sit in your 3D space from your C4D renders, depends on what effect you're doing, but generally if it's a plugin like particular or Element 3D, you can select your C4D camera as the camera to use. If it's something like a lens flare that doesn't have camera input, you can try offsetting the origin point between left and right comps to fake the 3D look. Or you can setup a light in C4D so it lives in true 3D space in your scene and export that as your origin point in AE for lens flares/particular emitter/whatever.

If you precomp both of your L/R eyes into another main comp, I think you can use the stereo effect to preview with anaglyph glasses, but I don't really use that much. I typically just go to the same frame in both comps, and use that little snapshot button one the Left eye, then go into the Right eye and flip between them to compare how things shift. You can get a pretty good idea of the depth that way.

Edited by theta

Thank you so much for your advice. I was getting very confused trying to combine AE's stereo rig with the output from Cinema but it looks like that isn't really necessary. Using a C4D light to place my flare is a genius idea! That's really the only effect I have to composite the rest is just solid layers.

Thankyou again!

quick tip that may help. if you're using non 3d effects. the toComp expression (number 5 here) will line up a 2d position with the location of a 3d layer, like a null, that way if you have identically named nulls in your right and left comps you could just copy layers from one to the other and they'd snap to the correct location for each eye.

quick tip that may help. if you're using non 3d effects. the toComp expression (number 5 here) will line up a 2d position with the location of a 3d layer, like a null, that way if you have identically named nulls in your right and left comps you could just copy layers from one to the other and they'd snap to the correct location for each eye.

Good tip. You could also go as far as linking the position of the nulls in the separate comps w/ expressions.