Sign in to follow this  
bleepurchin

Tracer - Horizontal Grid Lines

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a vast grid of clones to connect together with splines horizontally using the tracer object. The 2nd image is how I want the clones to be manipulated and the splines to react.

What I don't want is for the spline to continue from one end of the row to the next as show below.

2b969554-fb3e-4bf5-81d9-c816395a81f4_zps

Note: I need this grid of clones to be effected by a single shader, so this setup cannot operate as separate lines, cloned into a grid.

Note: I do no want this to be made using a texture on geometry. It needs to be splines.

ScreenShot2013-12-09at135101_zpse66a552b

What's the answer here please guys?

Cheers,

Luke.

Edited by bleepurchin

Depending on how far you want to distort those lines you might be able to get away with just doing a high-rest texture and a displacement map on a high-poly plane. That'd be easy and flexible. You'd just have to be careful not to push the texture too far and dialing in your AA settings could make your renders a bit more time-consuming.

Not sure what you're going for exactly, but have you looked at using Form as an option? It'd be super easy to set up using strings and a layer map and keep it all in AE.

R

Edited by RVA8

I knew there was something I'd forgotten to say I do not want.

Yeah I do no want this to be made using a texture. I need the splines for other things later on.

Cheers anyway.

Edited by bleepurchin

Hmm...a couple of things come to mind. I don't know an easy way to do this - unfortunately the Tracer is a little limited. There's a plugin called SuperTracer. I've never played with it but maybe it has something you can use?

Without using any plugins, you could take a Plane as an object to clone onto, make a selection for each row and then use one Cloner per row in Object mode. Then select all your Cloners and drop in a Tracer set to Connect Elements and it works. Kinda tedious with the selection-making, but it's a solution that keeps your Tracer from wrapping around at the end of each row.

R

Try to use multiple mosplines over the tracers, (with start / end points modified to get rid of the inbetween connecting lines)

Technically its multiple splines but you can use the one shader effector to affect them all.

ScreenShot2013-12-09at30713PM_zps2c0eb36

The tracer is going to "connect" all elements, dont think it gives you much controllability in what you dont want connected, not unless you use multiple tracers / objects.

Edited by Encity

You could also try using the mesh->spline->project function, you can project splines onto geo with that.

Or perhaps even make a row of high res splines and try using the collision deformer on them, actually just tried it and don't think that works on splines!

And what exactly? Inevitably the NURBS object will have some deformations if you deform the spline. If using "parallel movement" and disabling the rail spline usage don't do the trick, you would have to construct your flowing lines completely differently.... Perfectly possible, but not as easy as using a simple sweep....

Mylenium

Ok the obvious solution that somehow escaped me and a few others it wold seem is CLONE THE SPLINE AND USE A SHDER EFFECTOR WITH A TEXTURE TAG.... Kicking myself right now!! :blink:

Note: I need this grid of clones to be effected by a single shader, so this setup cannot operate as separate lines, cloned into a grid.

I guess we thought you already tried cloning the splines into a grid, since you made a note to say that wont work for your setup.

And its what mylenium said, the NURBS is creating geometry from the spline, if the spline is deformed, so will the mesh.

waaaait...problem!

If I add a sweep nurb to the spline, the shader effector deforms the mesh... how can this be worked around?

if you want to deform your splines using a texture like your example you showed with the hand... and not with geometry... there's a pretty simple solution.

First just make a linear cloner of a mospline. then add a shader effector to the mospline with a material in the color channel with whatever texture you want... place the material on the mospline. (i also set my material tag to flat to get closer to what you're trying to do... and i turned off tiling)

Place the cloner under a connect object to make all of the splines one. now create a sweep nurbs and use that as your path spline in the heirarchy for your sweep. The only restriction this has really is that you are unable to give each line variable widths since they're all tied to your cross section spline.

Now ... if you have geometry you're trying to deform the splines to... that's a whole other problem i haven't really figured out a simple solution for. If anyone figures that one out lemme know...

using projections and even the projection deformer is problematic since you have to be a master at UV'ing... and I dunno who on earth loves to UV... not me...

hope that helps man