Sign in to follow this  
dust

Graphic designer+Cinema 4D to create still images.. advice needed!!

Hi there, i am a junior graphic designer and i feel i need to start learning some 3d software to be able to generate 3d elements to add to my designs. I know the main strengths of Cinema 4d are related to motion graphics, but at the moment i plan to use it simply as a tool to generate realistic 3d objects...

I have been taking a look at several tutorials, but most of them cover areas that i don't want to learn at the moment (i will in the future, but not just now), mainly related to animation, body modeling, etc...

here are a few examples of the things i intend to achieve... it Cinema 4d the right tool for this job???

qliw.jpg

k5m9.jpg

3dtype.jpg

ONCE I LEARN HOW TO DO THINGS LIKE IN THOSE FIRST IMAGES, I'LL TRY INTEGRATING THEM IN OTHER SCENES...

0s6b.jpg

yknj.jpg

f1bu.jpg

AND THEN, IN THE FAR FUTURE, I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS KIND OF THING, BUT I REALIZE THIS HAS LOTS OF THINGS AT PLAY:

incredible.jpg

Soooo, I feel the main things i need to learn for my goals are: (i might be wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me...)

1.the bestworkflow to import my designs into C4D
2. lighting, lighting, lighting.
3. create nice materials and texturing within C4D... (i don't know how to import some of the complex color patterns, complex gradients, etc that i have made on illustrator to use them as my material or texture)

4. nurbs to model & modify type compositions and other elements..
5. learning Vray & other plugins to export all the previous work in the nicest posible way??

am i missing something vital??

I am just getting familiar with the software, so basically i am a total noob at it... How long do you guys think will take to learn the basics of C4d for this specific application??

And lastly and most important, are there any tutorials / courses focused in this kind of use of CINEMA 4D??? If you know them, please post them!

Sorry for the long post & Thanks in advance for your responses!

Edited by dust

C4D is fine for design stills, and I think it's the best 3D program to dip your toes into if you're new to 3D.

I'd look into some basic starter tutorials, should give you the lay of the land when it comes to the software and basic functions, set up projects and just work in 3D.

I'd suggest Digital tutors if you can afford it, they've got great little tuts to make it easy to learn.

When it comes to type, or logos, I usually import from AI, setting up type layouts in C4D isn't the greatest. Again you can find many a tutorials for this.

I think everything you are looking for is possible, but you should start of with getting to know the software.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/841-Introduction-to-CINEMA-4D-R14

The always handy greyscalegorilla:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/intro-to-cinema-4d

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I second Digital Tutors. That site is organized really well for doing small projects as well as searching for specific tools and techniques and has a really good basics section from what I remember. Lynda.com is also another place you could start going through basics of the software. Once you get the basics down things like greyscalegorilla.com are awesome resources. Just please (please) don't fall into the trap of replicating things from tutorials and putting them in your reel/portfolio. Not saying you're that kind of designer - just covering the bases here. It's often painfully obvious when someone is just ripping off tutorials - don't be that guy (or girl?).

If you're looking to get into more animation/production in the future I've always been really happy with FXPHD.com. It's not cheap (not horribly expensive either) but I've always felt like I got my moneys worth and more. Tim Clapham's Luxx blog helloluxx.com has some good stuff as well as base80.com, though they tend to be a bit more advanced and specific.

Good luck!

R

Thanks Davor & RVA8,

i have already done a couple of tutorials from greyscalegorilla, just to know the interface and the basics, I will check digital tutors and see what i can find there.

So Cinema 4D is the right tool for this job i guess.

Regarding the examples, they are just that, examples of work i find interesting and that i feel that the techniques that are used on them can be applyed to the kind of things i want to do... Also, as you can see, they simply are an starting point to learn the software... i guess it is easier to set up exercises and try to do them than to just play around in C4D without a clear objective.

Thanks for your help!

More views welcome!

You might not be into animation at the moment, but it's worth a learn. And also you can ignore any of the actual key framing if you want, but it may also help to get you to the "still frame" that you might be looking to get for your final composition.

All the image examples are easily created and rendered using C4D. Also the community is very helpful, so if you get stuck feel free to throw you question out.

C4D is great for just a design tool. I started out the same way as you when I picked up Cinema and just wanted to use it to broaden my graphic design portfolio. I eventually got to the point where I wanted to see my designs in motion as well. I would really recommend starting out with some GreyScaleGorilla.com basic lighting and texturing tutorials. He will show you how to light and texture nice looking designs quickly. Just go onto his website and start going through stuff.

You might not be into animation at the moment, but it's worth a learn. And also you can ignore any of the actual key framing if you want, but it may also help to get you to the "still frame" that you might be looking to get for your final composition.

All the image examples are easily created and rendered using C4D. Also the community is very helpful, so if you get stuck feel free to throw you question out.

Yep, definitely. I am obviously not discarding animation by any means, but i feel i need to start one thing at the time to don't be overwhelmed by the program... judging for what i've seen, you can do so many different things with C4D, that i personally feel i need to focus on a couple of the things it can do for me at the time. Once i know how to do those 2-3 things properly, then learn a couple of new things, and so on... otherwise i feel i might be trying to learn too much and end up not learning anything at all..

Thanks dbrodi & butterbescotch! I'm on it! :)

Edited by dust