Sign in to follow this  
kurtrofl

Generation To Generation

I just finished this animation today. Thought I'd share here for some opinions on it.

Started as an experiment to learn AE, and just kept going with it.

Edited by kurtrofl

As an experiment/learning tool I think it's a great exercise - I'm sure you know all about shape layer animations now which is great! I think you could take this further though.

You've got these nice little animations going but the pace isn't really working with the track at the moment and overall it feels slow and rather boring by the end of one minute. You could also give some more consideration to the colors used for the backgrounds. Pastel colors are the last thing I think of when I think of video games - particularly older 8-bit (or less) gaming systems. I think you could push the communication just by changing those colors. I mean, think about the era in which these things were made: colors/aesthetics were very different in the 80's around the NES than they are now around the PS4/Xbox One but you don't get that here. You could even work that idea into transitions between the consoles. Lastly I think you could push a loose story or some kind of progression since you're dealing with the subject matter so linearly. Think about what you're trying to tell us by showing us the history of major game consoles. How about some kind of title card and the beginning or end to wrap it up instead of letting it just get cut off? I think with a little more work you could have a cool piece that says something more than "I learned how to animate shape layers", ya know? Just a thought.

R

Thanks so much for the feedback RVA8. Much appreciated. I'm definitely going to go back in there and change up the colors a bunch. I was afraid that if I kept my sequences too long, it'd get boring. I'll play with the pacing though.

I do have a question, how would you feel if during each consoles transition, I played a song/sound effects from a popular game of that era? Do you think that would take away from the animation? I chose the Flying Lotus song because it gave off that tech/gaming vibe too me.

I think the track you chose is great. It has a good energy to it and has lots of elements that sound like he could have sampled them from games. Adding a bit of tasteful sound design couldn't hurt at all! Give it a shot and see. You can always take it out or dial it back if it feels like it's too much. Just keep in mind what sounds you add, where they fall in the track and how they relate to the visuals. It might be nice to see a relationship between the background color and the sound you chose for each console/era. You might even think about working the transition and the sound together. For example: using the Mario coin sound and simultaneously transitioning out of the NES using an animation that relates to that sound (popping up and spinning in this case would be appropriate, but you could come up with other ways too). Not sure how that would work with some of the more modern/complex systems, or even some of the lesser-known systems like the Dreamcast, but it might be worth exploring.

On the flip side of that, to argue against my own point, does this then make the piece feel more about the game rather than the console? Is that necessarily a bad thing? That's kinda up to you to decide and goes back to what you want to try and communicate to the viewer. Figuring that out will inform your decision-making and give you something to check ideas against. Does it help get the idea across? Yes? Great! No? Then it's out. It sounds basic, I know - it's not meant to sound insulting. I just know from personal experience that it's easy to lose track of basics when you're learning a new and complex tool/medium.

Good luck!

R

nice! that was fun to watch.

now do it in 3D!

and i totally think the sounds from retro games would be sweet. don't have to do it for all the consoles. but i think some mario sounds and the sonic "ring collecting" sound is a must :)