Sign in to follow this  
MndlssOmssn

How would you model this?

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some opinions. I made this guy below,

http://imgur.com/43E4gXm

I wanted to know how you would go about modelling him keeping animation in mind.

I originally made it by using a cloner to make a block of cubes then kind of sculpting into it by remove cubes. This left him with a lot of extra geometry inside which really slowed down working with it. I then remade him using a cube split into a grid of segments and taking the relevant faces and extruding them until I had the desired shapes (separate arms, legs, head, hair, eyes etc for animation) but this was a very slow process.

I wondered if perhaps I am missing a trick? Anything to speed the process up would be incredibly helpful as the intention is to make a series of short episodes so I'll have a lot more assets to create.

Thankyou in advance for any advice :) You're all always so helpful!

maybe a cloner with a shader effector ? and If I were you I would model every part seperate specially since he has a loego man like anatomy so even in the animation I would imagine his limbs would be stiff and not very interconnected

can someone explain this minecraft thing to me?

i see people all over the place asking questions about how to rig/model characters who look like this.

Hi Zickar, thanks for the feed back. Yeah I have modelled the limbs separately as I don't want any bend in them.

Vozzz - The background of the thing I'm trying to make was bringing a pixellated sprite to life in 3D which is essentially what Minecraft is. It's a game where the world is made up of cubes and that's essentially it. Best way I heard it described was like lego, you build things, kill monsters etc