Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

stereo 3d still around?

A while ago it was all the rage again. I was seeing jobs popping up requiring stereo 3d skills. Cinema introduced workflows for it. DT was making tutorials for it. It was in the news.

is that over now?

i never got around to figuring it out, even though i got a 3d monitor.

was wondering if anyone is still getting jobs which require stereo 3d skills or if its just over.

There's still quite a lot of stereo 3D conversion happening... after-the-fact conversions involving lots of creation of depth maps using rotoscoping and such. There are a few big places in the LA area doing this. I'm not seeing as much shooting in 3D or production being done in 3D.

S3D is pretty much dead except for certain kinds of movies. Many directors and producers consciously avoid it. The risk of getting a bad rep with some bad 3D conversion is too great. To be fair, though, it actually has gotten to a level where it's actually bearable and works. Still, unless you work on one of those movies, you probably will never hear anything of it again. 4K is the new fad, anyway.

Mylenium

It's still around for movies but there seems to be much less of it as days go by. After ESPN decided to kill off their 3D channel I doubt stereo will take hold on regular TV. Supposedly the overseas market still has interest in it but just like the glut/novelty of S3D films in America I think that will eventually decline as well. It's a total pain in the ass to deal with and thought it never really brought much to a viewer experience, so I'm glad it's on the decline. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when they make glasses-less S3D we'll have do this all over again, but this time in 4K (or 8K or whatever).

Edited by superegophobia

I have still have to do a lot of it, dealing with theatre clients, so a lot of the cg work I do is for theatres equipped with stereo capabilities. And it's still a pain in the ass. I think it's going to be around awhile in the theatre market, broadcast and everything else, not so much.

I use it in some of my palaeontological research work (studying part-time when not mographing), and it's considered a very useful tool for conveying the structure of fossil specimens which may not be immediately apparent from 2D images.

2010-2012 I was doing a lot of stereo, but I havent had one stereo show since. Seems dead (except for theatrical film as stated above)

Edited by JoelD

@joe: your site is throwing up warning on both firefox and chrome... Says this is probably not the site im looking for..

edit: actually its just when the link is https instead of http

Edited by vozzz

I imagine the same lack of enthusiasm in the consumer market is going to stop 4K from going mainstream as has done with 3D. Most of what people watch on TV (game shows, talent shows, reality shows etc) really doesn't look any better in 3D or 4K, so who is going to spend on the equipment, and which companies are going to invest in the bandwidth?

@joe: your site is throwing up warning on both firefox and chrome... Says this is probably not the site im looking for..

edit: actually its just when the link is https instead of http

Thanks--fixed the link

I'm finding that I've been doing more stereo work lately. A year ago I hadn't ever worked in stereo and now about 1/3 of my work seems to be (although that could be to do with having new clients). The stereo work I tend to be doing is logo treatments for cinema or adverts that will be going in cinemas and tv.