Sign in to follow this  
MndlssOmssn

Learning particles in C4D, which route to take?

Hi All,

What with the release of Krakatoa for C4D I feel like I should really invest some time in learning to use particles. I'm just not sure which route to go down, thinking particles or x particles? Or are they not mutually exclusive?

I'd just love to get your opinions on them and find out which you prefer to work with?

I did have a search through old posts but couldn't find much discussion on it, if I've missed a post please link it to me to read through :)

Thanks!

well find some tutorials on thinking particles. GSG has i think the simplest ones. then search for a tornado xparticles tutorial

then go here and buy xparticles: http://www.x-particle.com/html/salefeb14.php

clarify: there really is no comparison. there is no discussion, because learning to use thinking particles is such a massive pain, that no amount of functionality makes up for it. since most people simply cant get to grips with it. Im pretty good at technical stuff. Above average i'd say. But i just gave up on thinking particles again and again.

Ha so it sounds like you're in the Xparticles camp. I'll give those links a watch, I have played with TP before and find it quite hard to get my head around. Thanks for the heads up, the only issue with X-particles is making a good case to the boss about buying an extra plugin ;)

+1 for X Particles. It's pretty fantastic and once you get the hang of how it works it's quite intuitive. Thinking Particles really need an overhaul. Not that you shouldn't learn the basics at least, but I wouldn't spend a great deal of time on it if you can get X Particles.

R

What the others said - X-Particles is the new TP and has many features already built-in that would require complicated TP setups plus the performance is a zillion times better. If you have X-Particles the only times when you will look back to TP is when creating really complicated rule-based setups with lots of extra XPresso nodes for if/else or similar.

Mylenium

YESS the NAB presentations are up! Wickked

X-particles sorts out your nodal networking invisibly so you can just get on and work. I swear TP doesn't act the expected way twice.

For TP, the Simon Holmedal vids on GSG are good, but best of luck trying to recreate them from memory. It's obvious TP has been sadly neglected by Maxon for years, well, most of xpresso has - so any third-party particles plugin is welcome. I will say this though, you do need a grounding in TP to get the most out of Pyrocluster, Mograph, TurbulenceFD, Dpit Effex - because they can all hook into the same particle data from xpresso, so it makes sense to be able to transpose data between different things to get a lovely layered-up render in post

x-particles awesome!

here i just made a tree generator and i've been using em for a total of about 4 days =)

Nice one. Check out the Particle Deformer if you haven't already. Could be real handy as a landscape generator.