Sign in to follow this  
yuppster

MographWiki closing

Hello old friends. I run a site called MographWiki (http://mographwiki.net) that started as an idea on this board back in 2006. Unfortunately, I've negelected the site for years and don't have the time to maintain it anymore. Most of the info is out-of-date and incomplete. And now the free hosting deal that we had is ending.

In the off chance anyone is interested in taking over the site (and hosting it), let me know. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the site over the years.

Edited by yuppster

Sent you a pm. I'm currently hosting 20ish sites so it would be no problem. Plus, Id like to finally get some of Binky's redesign elements in there... 5 years late.

Edited by AromaKat

I used Mographwiki to get my start in freelancing. It was a bit arduous but I managed to catalog all the active LA studios and see who would be good to contact, so your site was great. It could be an extremely useful resource if updated a bit. It looks like you have volunteers but I'll step in line if the other guys can't do it. Badass logo by the way Binky!

Vozz, and anyone else who wants to lend a hand, I would like to do some spring cleaning after the transfer is done. A lot of the profiles link to dud URLs, don't have much info, or have no contact information - which creates a lot of useless entries to sift through. If I could get a list of all the dud freelancer / studio profiles on there, it would be a huge help. If someone is willing to take that on, and just make a spreadsheet list, it would sit better with me than if I were to do it myself. I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to play god of the directory and starting to nix people willy nilly.

I have a list of 1,200 different agencies in the US I paid a firm for (internal marketing reasons), which will be plugged into the site to fill that section out. I also have a list of every local broadcast station in the US, but I don't think this directory is a place for that. If anyone has similar items that they would like to share on the directory but don't want to manually enter each one in, let me know. If its in a spreadsheet form, I can run a script to batch import directly into the database file.

Please don't modify the entries within the site itself as of yet. Changes made could be lost during the transition. No changes will even be made for a week or so because I want to fully migrate over to my servers on a different URL, thoroughly test everything to ensure nothing broke during the transfer, then set up a repository backup system so if something goes wrong during the 'spring cleaning' stage we can revert back.

i think a google docs spread sheet will work well for this. and we can add the empty/lacking profiles into there. and then you can clean em out.

or maybe we should just start with a clean sheet for directory listing? Since im guessing a very large amount of the studios/freelancers might not exist anymore..

Would it be possible to sort or search by filters for companies and freelancers, so if I'm looking for a freelancer in Atlanta, it can just show those entries? It's probably a ton of work to implement.

is there a separate google doc for freelancers? or do you want me to just add items to the bottom?

Make a new tab, please

Would it be possible to sort or search by filters for companies and freelancers, so if I'm looking for a freelancer in Atlanta, it can just show those entries? It's probably a ton of work to implement.

You can sorta-kinda do that now, but its not too obvious or even works too well. If you click 'California' within a profile page's location area, for instance, all pages with 'California' set as the location will load up in list form. Getting this to work better is on the top of my to-do list.

Once I get more familiar with things, I will ask my developer to add things here and there over time to make this more useful for everyone. Suggestions welcomed.

When people create a login are they able to update their own entries? In other words once the big spring cleaning is done will freelancers be able to update their own entries to make sure contact info and stuff is current?

Seems like if it is all up to volunteers/moderators the task of keeping track of all the freelance info would just be gargantuan…even just studios seems like a huge task.

Cool so I guess once it's been spring cleaned it's really up to all of us to spread the word and make sure people use it and keep it current if we want it to be a genuine resource.

I'll definitely make sure to add in whatever studios and info I can.

Hey everyone,

I finished cleaning up the companies list and am now moving on to the much larger artist list.

A lot of people have put pseudonyms there - which I don't know if should be "allowed" or not for organization purposes. Companies should go in the companies list, and the freelance list should only consist of first & last names, right? Its a bit of a gray area when you have industry-famous entities like Gmunk out there, but it really does mess things up.

What is everyone's thoughts on the matter? There are some very valid profiles on there that I would be nuking if deleting those entries. Turns out, renaming the page is a bitch. When launched, I will be sending an email out to all accounts within the wiki explaining their profile may have changed or been deleted so everyone can add / edit their page.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

We're an industry with a lot of self-branding--there's a lot of people I only really know by their pseudonyms. Is there any way to have three fields? First name, last name, also known as?

Yeah, but it gets hairy. There is a difference between a blatant moniker and someone saying, for example, Ace 5 Studios is a "personal" brand name (Sorry Vozz). If you go to the site and don't know if its a person who may be available for freelance on-site, or a company... It can lead to issues.

We have to keep in mind how the list on there will be used, and who will use it. If it causes confusion for people looking to employ and they leave - its a useless list.

Some are obvious nicknames, others are confusing. I'm thinking the only way to be fair about it is to just make it a no-no. At least for listing title's sake.

I will look into adding a 'known as' field, but even if it were to be added it would only work for articles created going forward.

Edited by AromaKat

This is done now, and will be there upon the re-launch.

Yeah, but it gets hairy. There is a difference between a blatant moniker and someone saying, for example, Ace 5 Studios is a "personal" brand name (Sorry Vozz). If you go to the site and don't know if its a person who may be available for freelance on-site, or a company... It can lead to issues.

For what it's worth this logic makes sense to me for the freelancers section. Once you follow the link to someones site you'll quickly see their personal branding, or most likely you'll know just by looking at the URL. If entering an AKA feild is a pain in the ass couldn't freelancer just include their pseudonym in the first name feild e.g. First name: Bradley (Gmunk) Last Name: Munkowitz

We could also make it more clear whether you're on a freelancer or a company page. Right now you can see the category at the bottom and the infobox has different fields, but we could put a "freelancer" or "company" title somewhere more prominent.

It's pretty easy to add a moniker field to the infobox... but like aromakat said, we'd have to go back to the old pages and update them. I'm not sure if it adds much value actually.. you'll see it in their URL most likely.

Also, once we get the naming convention set for how "freelancer" pages should be named (as in the name that's in the actual URL or the page and it's main title), then we can update the text on the form used to create those pages. Right now it's just a box- and I can see how people would be confused.. my fault of course. :)