Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

I can't afford Adobe CC

I had originally pointed this out in Adobe CC, thumbs up or down?, but I'm adamant enough about this to make it its own topic.

I own three versions of Adobe CS--the CS4 Production Premium, as the CS5.5 and CS6 Master Collections. I have three computers that I use regularly, with CS6 on two of them and CS5.5 on the other.

I also recently became a father, and am currently on paternity leave. As a result, I don't have money. At all. I can't spare $50/month for CC, much less the $100/month it would take to have it installed on three machines. Babies are expensive, yo.

But I'm continuing to get stuff done. I've helped out with a bunch of stuff at Sequence, and have done a bit of freelance for friends on the side--though being on paternity leave ties your hands so tightly that I haven't been able to work for money. I can do this because I'm on CS6 (and CS5.5).

If I was on CC, this would be an entirely different story. Being unable to afford $50/month right now, I'd lose all my software. I'd also lose my ability to access all my projects. I don't care if it's theoretically cheaper than constantly buying upgrades--if I didn't have perpetual licenses, I'd be dead in the water.

There are a lot of reasons subscription-based software is a bad idea. This community is probably the place I'm most active online--After Effects is a huge part of my life. I understand the benefits of subscription-based software, and it's silly to pretend the benefits don't exist. But that doesn't matter if, right now, I literally wouldn't have anything. No software, none of my projects. And if times were tough, if I wasn't returning to work, I wouldn't even have the ability to cut a new demo reel (unless I wanted to master Windows Movie Maker).

On CS6, I have everything. On CC, I'd have nothing.

It's not a hypothetical. The only "what-if" about this scenario is that, luckily, I have older versions of CS that I can continue to use, so I don't actually have to wonder what things would be like if I had actually lost everything. But I'm a perfect example of why CS going subscription-only can really, really hurt people.

Aaron,

Count me in as a fan of non-subscription based software.

That said, I've been able to get by as a freelancer and new father (daughter turns 16 months soon) for the past year. At this point, I think of the CC the same way that I think about my phone bill. That doesn't' mean I don't have an issue with all the problems you mention - especially losing access to the software we've been paying for.

And yes, babies are expensive, no doubt. Diapers and wipes alone are crazy! And the coffee it takes to survive, oy vey :)

At this point, there's not much we can do but complain and pay the monthly fee, as AE an essential tool for any motion graphics artist. I'd look for deals on diapers and put aside the 50/month for the 2-system license.

Until then, let's see some baby pics!

I'll go first:

1 month: https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveglanz/8607928064/in/set-72157632958927794

12 months: https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveglanz/12930207014/in/set-72157633475552087

Now: https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveglanz/14423863346/in/set-72157642880191144

Baby time! Lovely little rascals! :-) On to the subject: Any ongoing forced commitment to all that software nonsense is a burden. In the crunch like now when you're looking for a new job with no money even an annual upgrade is a pain.... Guess how I hate my MSA at the moment?! Still, not trying to defend Adobe here, but their model would actually quite okay on an idealistic level. If it wasn't for their lack of technical sophistication with all the install issues, backwards compatibility and bugs in the apps themselves plus their inability to get a handle on their sales and support, a "jump in and jump out as you need it" monthly subscription wouldn't be that bad. It just doesn't work in practice because Adobe screws you in that regard and trying to revive an install that you left for dead for 2 or 3 months is a lot of trouble... Beyond that of course the lack of alternatives is the biggest problem - from Adobe themselves or competitors, but it's not gonna change. CC is a cash cow and they're gonna milk it. One can only hope that in time other companies come up with products at reasonable pricing that allow you to escape this insanity. In the end supporting those companies (and Adobe losing business) will do more than any forum post...

Mylenium

I'm in a similar predicament. Freelance work was pretty abundant over the past 3 years, but then in September it just started to dry up and now it's very sporadic. Clients in financial difficulties, shrinking budgets, etc. With 2 kids, mortgage and bills to pay, etc., and with very little freelance money coming in lately, I have struggled to pay the CC bill this year. Unless things pick up soon, I'm not going to be able to pay it any more, and I guess I'll have to go back to CS5 and accept that I'm locked out of all my current and recent projects, which is a bit of a kick in the nuts. A lot of people kind of scoff at you if you say you can't afford the 50 bills a month - I guess until that situation is staring you in the face, it's hard to imagine not being able to swing it. Anyway - I doubt things will change on Adobe's end. Here's hoping the economy picks up. Feck.

... I guess I'll have to go back to CS5 and accept that I'm locked out of all my current and recent projects, which is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

You can spend your quality time and play the Adobe Ae Flip game!

First, save from CC to CS6. Then, use CS6 to flip to CS5.5. Now, all you have to do next is - using software you already own, or pestering associates who do - use CS5.5 and flip yet again to CS5. Repeat process as needed.

Have a refreshing beverage while considering that the tools have now become the work.

First, save from CC to CS6. Then, use CS6 to flip to CS5.5. Now, all you have to do next is - using software you already own, or pestering associates who do - use CS5.5 and flip yet again to CS5. Repeat process as needed.

Have a refreshing beverage while considering that the tools have now become the work.

You missed out the conversion from CC 2014 to CC

I'm going to make my millions by starting a web service that will downgrade your AE file. Just drag and drop your AE project file onto the page, it returns the same file formatted for a previous version. It'll cost $1/version difference. Have a CC2014 file you need to open in CS5.5? That'll be $3.

I can host everything on an Amazon EC2, which will have every AE version installed and scripts for automating opening/saving from each version.

(Though now that I think about it...maybe I could actually write a tool that will move AEP files between versions. I'm guessing the AEP file format isn't documented anywhere?)

By the time I get the old file open, takes the spirit right out of me.

Less passion to design on a truly savage deadline than before! Once I fail at realizing it's an even older project than I thought, I've already wasted more time. Whoops it's CS5 after all! Or is it older!?

Adobe you need to fix this. You are going to discourage artists and companies from this business. Being a business is getting harder because of this compatibility issue. It's not a light deal. Our clients expect instant turnarounds.

This has come up twice in the last week. This is ridiculous.

Edited by BoArlander

I'm going to make my millions by starting a web service that will downgrade your AE file. Just drag and drop your AE project file onto the page, it returns the same file formatted for a previous version. It'll cost $1/version difference. Have a CC2014 file you need to open in CS5.5? That'll be $3.

I can host everything on an Amazon EC2, which will have every AE version installed and scripts for automating opening/saving from each version.

(Though now that I think about it...maybe I could actually write a tool that will move AEP files between versions. I'm guessing the AEP file format isn't documented anywhere?)

In all seriousness I would use this service, if it could be a one click thing with paypal, I would totally part with the 3$

A lot of people kind of scoff at you if you say you can't afford the 50 bills a month - I guess until that situation is staring you in the face, it's hard to imagine not being able to swing it.

I feel for blacker on this it's easy to be cavalier about this until your up against it. Yes the 50$ a month doesn't seem like a huge thing but all those little monthly costs of being a freelancer/small business owner add up cel/electricity/internet etc.

Been thinking about this and the only real serious competitor I could see at this point would be if the Foundry released a mograph app, that might have a chance of gaining some real traction especially with bigger shops that might already be using nuke for compositing anyways. I'd love to see the monopoly disappear but at this point it would take a company with a serious track record that I thought would be around for a while to seriously make me willing to invest in moving things over from AE.

Everyone rightly points out that Adobe is only game in town so why should they give a shit, and yeah that's true, but I really hope when a competitor finally does come along all this ill will they are building up with their client base really bites them in the ass.

Installing Adobe products on a web server and marketing automated functionality to the public is strictly prohibited by Adobe's licensing agreement - even pre CC.

As an attempt to beat template pushers at their own game, I tried building a site 2 years ago that let users select a template, upload photo 1, photo 2, etc, logo image, and enter text within the browser. The system would then render the template with those items in place and deliver automagically. After investing a bit of time and money into the project I found this out, and the project was canned.

Installing Adobe products on a web server and marketing automated functionality to the public is strictly prohibited by Adobe's licensing agreement - even pre CC.

As an attempt to beat template pushers at their own game, I tried building a site 2 years ago that let users select a template, upload photo 1, photo 2, etc, logo image, and enter text within the browser. The system would then render the template with those items in place and deliver automagically. After investing a bit of time and money into the project I found this out, and the project was canned.

Dammit! Is there nothing Obama can get right?