Sign in to follow this  
jblessing

Goodbye Mac Pro, Hello Octane PC

I'm curious what gfx cards are most of you running on mac & pc??

There's been a big thread on the octane forums about how the newest nvidia cards are not performing any better than the previous generation.

I have an aging mac pro w a solitary GTX680 and

a Windows 8 rig w an EVGA GeForce GTX760.

I would like to ideally add one more card to both machines any recommendations that are not $1200 titan cards?

If you are doing something where Cuda cores are the most important, get a 780 (or 780ti if you don't need 6GB of ram). If cost is more important, then a previous gen card also gets a lot of bang for your buck. Just compare cuda cores per $..

Looks like a new 12gb Titan just came out, curious how much of a boost they'll give.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121874

It seems to be double every spec of the Titan (original) I have. I think this is one of those cases where they just sandwich 2 of the current gen chipsets together and give it a new number.

Re: old vs new nvidia cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-26.html

this benchmark shows that the 780 and 580 a roughly equal in CUDA. but this was before blender moved to the new CUDA architecture which saw all the 6 and 7 series get a boost and overtake the 580's.

and according to these score: http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/19332-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-och-gtx-970/16#pagehead

the 970 ties with the 780ti ( but 2gb less memory)

so short of getting a titan, the 970/980 looks like the best choice for speed. the 6gb 780, if you really need the extra 2gb.

I just got the 970. waiting to see what 8gb variants are coming out to fill up the remaining pci slots i have.

[EDIT]: New information has come to my attention on this topic: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?350975-The-new-Cycles-GPU-2-72-Benchmark/page6

Edited by vozzz

k5000 seems to be a bit overpriced for CUDA: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/showthread.php?239480-2-6x-Cycles-render-benchmark/page66

also remember that osx doesnt support cuda stuff, you need to be running windows on your mac

edit: my bad. CUDA works on mac. i dunno why i thought it didn't...

Edited by vozzz

also remember that osx doesnt support cuda stuff, you need to be running windows on your mac

Huh, do you mean fully supported? Or some features are missing? I run octane on my mac.

Edited by Grundly

To run even one Titan it is recommended that you have an additional psu (if you have any other pci cards or a lot of HDs), so a Titan Z should need one. The GTX 680 we currently have in our 2010 MP is the fastest/most cuda cores you can safely put in without additional power. Cuda runs fine on at least 10.8.5. The latest web drivers for nvidia & cuda are available from nvidia's site. There is no point to quadros with Octane/TFD/Adobe anything. Octane, and overall performance while running Octane, works best with more than one GPU. If you want to go the additional PSU route for the 2010 MP, getting 2 780s would be the best option for the $ and stability of the system. If you don't want to add a PSU, then build the system in this thread ;)

So far, so good man. I'm liking it a lot. It's money well spent. It will be better when we get the rest of the workstations built, but you could stop by anytime to see the one we have now. http://instagram.com/p/t_oTvBlDG2/

It feels wrong switching back to PC after all these years, but windows 8.1 is making it less painful than I expected. I still miss being able to quickview files in open/save windows, but the speed overall is worth it.

use this for picture viewin: http://picasa.google.com/

and this for video viewing: http://potplayer.daum.net/

both open really fast and exit/minimize with the Escape key.

re: open save windows: if you want to view a file in open/save window, you can right click on it and click preview ( they should really tie that to a shortcut, im sure someone has..)

also press alt+p and you'll have a preview pane. (might help)

Edited by vozzz

Call me an amateur but as the video cards don't share vRAM, what is the point of getting two 560/780s if Octane can't split across them? Are you saying there's some way of using the CUDA cores from both in an Octane render?

they dont share ram, meaning that you need to have enough ram on each card. ie. if you have 3 cards with 3gb each, you can still only render a 3gb scene. not a 9gb as might be expected.

but with 3 cards it will render 3 times faster.

they dont share ram, meaning that you need to have enough ram on each card. ie. if you have 3 cards with 3gb each, you can still only render a 3gb scene. not a 9gb as might be expected.

but with 3 cards it will render 3 times faster.

Exactly.

Thanks for those links Vozzz. Picassa alone makes such a difference...

cool, glad they helped. dont forget to go into the preferences of pot player and change how new files open. There is an overwhelming number of settings, but if you make it open new files in teh same windows, it makes it a much more pleasant experience. also you can set it to remember the last play head position which can come in handy too. And you can pick if you want to open all similar files in directory ( auto add to playlist) or if you want to just open one and keep repeating it. ( lots of settings in there)

Still holding on to my Mac Pro here. I've got a Mac Pro 2012 spec'd to the max (at the time it came out). I figured CPU power has kind of plateued at this point, but I still want to be able to upgrade the internals. Now seeing the stupid trashcan Pros, i'm glad I held on to this. I run a single Titan Black, with an external PSU the size of a dvd drive that fits just below my original DVD drive. Its a nice, compact solution and I get pretty nice render times out of Octane. And I can switch over to PC and play any game I want with max settings.

Cool stuff in this thread though. I've picked up a lot of useful info incase I decide to ditch this rig.

So just to update this thread, we got our new workstations built and almost ready to go. Here are the shared specs:

Asus x99 WS-E motherboard

64GB Corsiar LPX RAM

2x Samsung SSDs (OS and cache)

1x 1TB Western Digital drive (project files)

external raids (existing)

Corsair 780t/760t cases

EVGA 1600w PSU

Corsair H100i CPU cooler

For the Octane workstation, we planned 3 Titan Zs. So far we have only been able to source 2. Apparently all Titans have been discontinued, and the only ones that have been available online are from private sellers charging 50-80% or more over list price. Rumor has it a Titan 2 is coming out in March, but we couldn't wait that long. Frustrating for sure after all this time.

So the Octane workstation got a 5960x CPU that has OC'd to 4.2ghz. The other workstation that we can't get Titans for has a 2697 v3 CPU OC'd to 3.1ghz. We are just dropping a 980 into that workstation just to get it up for now. The Asus board has been awesome. The decent OCs on the CPUs and the RAM OC'd to 3.0-3.1 ghz was pretty painless. There is still room for more, but I have stuff to render :)

The one downside so far is that the top Titan Z card is thermal throttling down to 550mhz (from the stock 700) when rendering Octane. The other 3 cards (software sees each titan z as 2 titans) stay boosted to around 1050mhz. Once I get the third gpu, I'll see what I can do about the temps...probably put in some larger case fans. I've seen Maingear do a 4xTitanZ build with water cooling, and the same specs otherwise, for about $4k more than we just spent. So I'll take 200-400mhz slower on one card for that savings...

The other part we just found out yesterday is that the built in RAID controller won't do RAID 5 across 6 HDs...it will only do RAID0 or it starts using fewer drives for other RAID modes.

So given all that, the speeds in Octane are awesome. It Octane net renders with our other box that has 4xTitan Blacks ok. Octane's net render isn't perfect yet...but it is fast.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask..

jblessing thanks for the update. It's always great to see a good follow up.

I've been doing a lot of research on what I want to do over the next few months. Seriously considering switching to a custom build from my 8 core Mac Pro.

Seems like buying a nMP isn't really worth it for how much you're paying and what you end up getting.