Sign in to follow this  
jnicklo

Some boards for a personal project

Some boards for a personal project that I am working on. It started off as just a quick poster of a Paul Rand quote that I wanted to pin up on my cubicle but it developed into what I hope will be my first full-length Motion piece from scratch — aside from a few small projects at work, everything I've done up to now has been experiments and tutorial stuff so I'm ready to dive in and do something.

I'd love some feedback on the boards and overall look and feel. (Sorry for the big image size)

1364249.54078541d6f4a.jpg

Edited by jnicklo

Do you think the text on the top right frame is large enough? I've been back and forth on different typefaces/sizes and am still not 100% happy. Also, is there a sort of "rule of thumb" for a minimum type size in video?

Edited by jnicklo

Do you think the text on the top right frame is large enough? I've been back and forth on different typefaces/sizes and am still not 100% happy. Also, is there a sort of "rule of thumb" for a minimum type size in video?

First off, its all subjective and the size issue is just my opinion. But I was referring to all of them.

There is no rule of thumb. Its just a matter of what you want the viewer to be looking and absorbing. I know these are boards, but in motion - that is a lot of fine print to be reading.

What you have implies that you're basically designing a see-n-say. So, are you going to have this narrated? Or, as aromakat is guessing, is it text that's meant to be read? Basically, the issue is: what's the point of the sequence, and what are you communicating? So the question becomes more about what's necessary in each frame. Do we need to read the text to get it? Do we need the images to get it? What is each providing, how do they complement each other, and is there a reason for them to be in motion, or is this really an animated print piece?

@AromaKat Thank for the feedback.

@Binky Good question Binky. I posted this in hopes that you'd comment. I'm not really sure about narration. Unless I can source actual audio quotes from each designer (harder than I had thought) I was going to really just do this over a nice music track. I definitely think the quotes either need to be read, or heard — or both. TY for the feedback, being so new to this genre of Design I find any sort of critical feedback very valuable.

So what you have so far implies a video piece presenting some inspirational quotes in homage to the people being quoted. Something that might help clarify your thinking about what you want/need it to do is to ask why you think this needs to be video instead of print. What's going to happen in this thing that couldn't happen in print, which makes watching it more valuable than seeing it on a page. Is there a visual narrative? And is the imagery compelling enough to complement, support, or enhance the experience of reading/understanding the text?

This question challenges both the concept and the execution. You might find yourself answering it by evolving the concept, or by executing the existing concept in some way that makes the text more meaningful. Maybe it's in the animation of the elements, or the juxtaposition of images and text.

Well now, you just dropped a bomb on my naive motion graphics brain. :blink:

The best way I can explain why I felt it should be video over print is that at first, it was just me messing around with a still image of Paul Rand that I wanted to print out and tape to the wall of my cubicle. I then said to myself "I need some practice with motion graphics so why not make this a video?". Beyond it being practice, I'm not sure where else I want to take it.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, I gathered as much, and that's where these kinds of questions may help you make something really satisfying. That's really all a good question is for, anyway, to help you get at answers you weren't thinking about.

If you really want to practice "motion graphics", then you have to assume you're making this for an audience other than yourself, because you need to be communicating something (otherwise it falls into the greater and more nebulous category of "art"). And if that's true, and the point is to communicate something, then you want it to be something enlightening, and compelling, or your audience isn't going to care. Because the medium is imagery and text in motion, that's what you're working with to make something compelling, so you have to figure out how to get it done with just imagery, text, motion. Knowing that, and asking these questions about what you're accomplishing with that imagery, text, and motion, kind of helps focus your thinking so that you hopefully head toward something interesting for your audience, as opposed to just "messing around".

I let it sit for a few days, haven't touched it in a bit and the more I think about it, the more I feel like it's just meant to be a platform for me to share knowledge/inspiration that I've gathered from my favorite Designers and share them with others. I can't really see it being anything more than that unless I go ahead and take it a huge leap forward and do a documentary on these designers.

I definitely want to do Voiceovers and I didn't even fully consider it until you brought it up.

It might be a worthwhile challenge to try to make something compelling without voiceover! Y'know, constrain it to a minute, or whatever, and convey whatever it is that you think is interesting, but do it in a purely visual way.