Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

PIXEL CORPS SPRING SESSION

Guest govinda

Pixel Corps [FAQ] is an odd concept. So odd, that I asked my fellow Vegas boy and traning dude in his own right, Jayse Hansen, to do the guest-post honors.

Jayse's take:

"Pixel Corps is pretty much a community team that feels kind of like a summer camp for visual effects kids. It's different from most training I've come across because this is a combination of lessons from various masters in their field that would never even think of creating a training series. Somehow Alex [Lindsay, of DV Garage fame] has convinced them all to lend their thoughts to the series on smaller individual parts of expertise. This means you have the experts in preproduction - production and postproduction teaching you directly. The other cool thing is that you have your work reviewed and critique by these same masters - as well as your fellow corps members. So it's both fun and challenging - and you definitely learn more than trying to be self-taught alone with little to no feedback.

[Continued in thread]

Guest govinda

[Continued]

It's also got two other benefits - a high-energy vibe - and a time limit. As opposed to self-learning where you can do it (or more often NOT do it) whenever - the Pixel Corps has deadlines and timelines. It's good for people that need a kick in the pants to up their level of mastery.

For the most part - it's geared towards filmmaking. I think most people at mograph.net could kick their a** [edit: he means 'ass'] at design - but it's that high-end compositing, 3d, character animation etc. that I think most mographers could stand at least a LITTLE improvement on.

And no - I'm not getting paid to promote Pixel Corps - but after writing this - I should. ;-)"

govinda says:

Jayse himself is known to do a little training. His site is http://jayse.us.

Guest SermonOfMockery

what exactly IS pixelcorp? i've read the site and i'm still not clear. it sort of looks like it's a series of web tutorials, only they give you a deadline, but then there are pictures of what appears to be classrooms as well. i'm confused.

Guest jayse
"I think most people at mograph.net could kick their a** [edit: he means 'ass'] at design"

Bwahaha - Richard, I think that's the first time I've ever been 'de-censored'. :-P

Sermon - they do have live classes too - which are extra (but not much - like $200 or so for a few DAYS of instruction) - my friend went at the beginning of this year (in SF? - don't remember) and said they were tops for his Cinema 4d training side of it.

It's more of an elite club type of deal - where everything is recorded and uploaded for you to download, work with, and discuss. You get your own FTP access etc. which is pretty handy and fast. They also have some crazy hook ups with software vendors that basically give you their software for free (sometimes full - sometimes full with a 3 or 4 month limit) - lots of Mac stuff - Shake - C4d - Matchmover etc.

Let's see -

in one sentence...

It's basically web-video courses with challenges, deadlines, and constructive feedback from instructors and other members along with pretty amazing software, sourcefile and other downloads.

how's that?

// jayse

Guest jasfish

If you just design, Pixel Corps probably isn't for you.

If you do any compositing it's pretty cool.

The Cinema4D stuff is pretty nice as well, especially for

just starting out.

The tutorials are great and as Jayse said, you get a chance to

play with some pretty high-end tools including Shake, XSI

this past term, Matchmover, Boujou Bullet and more.

The cost is pretty reasonable for all the training you get.

Plus, it's all QT's so you can save them and go over them any

time you want.