Sign in to follow this  
iline

Xpresso Question: Rigging a Ratchet Wheel

Hello peeps,

My usual level of intellect is lacking on this one...

How to rig a ratchet wheel? In my case, the ratchet is following the rotation of a swing arm, which has a ratcheted surface pressed onto the wheel with a spring... When the swingarm returns to its base pose, the ratchet wheel cannot follow the swingarm back to base because of the ratchet.

So how do I drive the rotation of the wheel to make a strict 45-degree advance, then stop rotation, and not follow the negative rotation of its 'parent' when the swing arm returns to base?

Each subsequent movement of the swing arm would then add another 45-degree rotation to the current angle of the wheel.

I get the impression this requires the use of the memory node but the help dox aren't making sense this week.

cheers pals x

Screen-Shot-2015-02-04-at-1.15.51-PM.png

.....I'm gonna cheat this one. It's definitely something mathematic, or a simple formula, or a modulo range mapper, I don't have time to do everything the proper way. I failed maths at school fyi

If anyone's interested, I'd use a Track node in xpresso linked to an animation track (on a dead null) from 0-45 degrees set to Repeat Offset After. That gives lovely stepped data infinitely (since r13 you have to set the repetitions in the AM manually)