Sign in to follow this  
flow

C4D - super slow motion dynamics

hi,

i am trying to achieve suuuper slow motion dynamics in c4d. its kinda hard to achieve because when you change the time scale to a really low value (like 0.1 or 0.01) the solved dynamics behave very differently compared to a value of lets say 20 or 50%.

anyway, i was fiddling the values all day and i don't get anywhere close to what i try to achieve. my backup plan is to solve the dynamics at a really high frame rate, bake them and then put them i a 25fps scene. again, its frustrating because the solver does something entirely different when changing the frame rate to something like 300fps.

i'll let you know if Plan B is working!

any tipps are very much appreciated

ps: i also posted this thread over at c4d cafe. just to let you know.

ok ... here we go ... solving at an insanly high fps and baking it is working ... obviously.

the thing to watch out is the following: when you paste objects from a, lets say, 400fps scene into a 25fps scene, c4d will respect the relative time. that means a 400fps 3 sec ani takes 1200 frames. a 25fps scene will have 75 fps .... when copying the 1200 frames into a 25 fps scene it will squeeze all of your precious frames but they are still there. just stretch em out to 1200 and you will notice that you have a keyframe every frame.

didnt know that so far. hope this helps

ok ... one more thing ... the stretch technique does work but if you have 7800 frames total runtime and hundreds of object with baked animation on it, the timline window will be super heavy and its impossible to work with. the solution i came up with was to use xref. just calculate the "slowness factor" by dividing the total frames of the high fps scene with the total numbers of the low fps scene. then just put that into the animation scale of the xref.

in my case: 7800 / 325 = 24

thx mylenium ... i LOOOOOOVEEE alembic ... but can you elaborate how you mean that.

i tried but i failed. so i did a simple test again:

i have a 600fps / 2 sec animation of a cube rotating. when exporting this object as alembic and import that into a 25fps scene it still plays back a 2 sec animation.

i tried importing the abc as 25fps and 600fps. i still end up with a 2 sec animation.

what to do?

edit: played around with ABC subframes settings ... still no luck :(

Edited by flow

Hey flow - try a simple PLA baker - SteadyBake is my usual, it takes hierarchies and turns them into single PLA objects with a keyframe per frame. You can then stretch out the keys - either all or just a subset - to the duration you're after.

http://tcastudios.com/?p=19

Hey look - I made a silly screen capture of me doing just this! I'll be doing tutorials next. Shudder.

http://www.screencast.com/t/b2EZvgSL

Hey flow - try a simple PLA baker

Ah, DUH! I have been following this thread to see what the answer would be because I had a similar problem on a project last year. I'm kicking myself right now over this simple approach. Who knows how much time I wasted simming dynamics settings over and over. I use NitroBake all of the time too and never thought of using it for this.

guys...thanks for your input.

i use nitrobake all the time as well. great plugin !!!! this was my initial approach. but unfortunately in my case something funky has happened with nitrobake.

i have hunderds of small pieces and a lot of frames. so the scene is kind of heavy. for some reason the endresult with nitrobake is weird. it keeps the old psr tracks and just adds empty new ones.

will give steadybake a try on monday. his plugins are awesome!!!!! steadycam pro is THE best cam rig in my opinion.