Sign in to follow this  
Kesse

CC vs CC 2014

At the studio we have about 12-15 licenses, and everybody is using whatever they want from CS6, CC, to CC 2014.

I had trouble this fall with CC 2014 on one 6K projects with preview refreshing and sudden crashs. And on a 4K Mov Animation + Alpha I had some issues with ram preview.

Since the december update everything seems ok though.

We are now thinking to normalize the pipeline and ask everybody to work on the same version.

What's your two cents on that?

Thanks,

Edited by Kesse

The After Effects CC 2014.2 (13.2) version has _by far_ the lowest crash rate of any version of After Effects on which we have data. Also, calls to technical support per user and other measures of quality are much better for this version than for any of the other versions for which we have data.

So, based only on these quantitative measures of quality, I recommend that folks use After Effects 13.2. It's less trouble.

There may be other things that are on the other side of the balance (e.g., you don't like blue), but I think that the balance should swing to the most current version for most folks.

You can. It just takes an extra step. You can save back one major version from each version.

How can you if you don't have access to CC2012? As a new/current subscriber to CC is there a way to also install the older version?

I enjoy CC 2014, and haven't had any complaints in any CC iteration.

Kesse said it best.. Just keep everyone on the most current version and have update days every now and again during downtime, ensuring every machine undergoes the same exact updates. If someone at your shop is always isolated from everyone else's workflow, or you have a less often used laptop, make that machine the guinea pig to ensure nothing about the updates break things.

How can you if you don't have access to CC2012? As a new/current subscriber to CC is there a way to also install the older version?

Yes, a CC subscription gives you access to all major versions from CS6 forward. Why are you suggesting that it doesn't? Did you try it and have it fail?

Yes, a CC subscription gives you access to all major versions from CS6 forward. Why are you suggesting that it doesn't? Did you try it and have it fail?

I did try to find a way as my office is currently on CS6 and didn't find any option that would let me. I guess I'll have to dig around more tonight to find it now that I know there is a way. Would help greatly so I can work from home and save down to CS6 until we upgrade to CC.

You just choose "Previous Versions" in the Creative Cloud desktop application.

See the "Download previous versions" section here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/install-apps.html

Man I wish I knew/saw this before. I was puzzled and frustrated. Glad I can actually do work from home now without worrying about killing the project when I save.

Thanks!

Though saving backwards across multiple versions has proofed pretty unreliable for me. Lots of strange errors such as “couldn't find effect tint” (wtf?) and the amount of time needed to open, export and troubleshoot a project in multiple AE versions made me stick with the same version as my clients for the most part.

I remember with the first cc Version they promised that there will be a “save for CS6” option in every future cc release...

I'm on CC 2014 and it's the most solid and least quirky version in recent memory. Memory/multiprocessing seems to be working much better for me than it ever has and everything is generally working faster/smoother (though I'm sure the recent workstation upgrade helps too)

I had a bunch of trouble with installing previous versions also, I'd needed to re-install CC 2013 and CS 6 after doing a system restore and the CC desktop app would say it was installed, when it obviously wasn't. I found this site which has direct download links to the installers, so you can grab them for your archives if you want or just grab them again when you need them (though sometimes links get broken if adobe reorganizes on the back end). http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-direct-download-links.html

Though saving backwards across multiple versions has proofed pretty unreliable for me. Lots of strange errors such as “couldn't find effect tint” (wtf?) and the amount of time needed to open, export and troubleshoot a project in multiple AE versions made me stick with the same version as my clients for the most part.

I remember with the first cc Version they promised that there will be a “save for CS6” option in every future cc release...

I'm just glad that I have access to CS6 at least so I can keep projects in the same world. And yes there really shouldn't be any point to having to save down to CC12 since if you're on CC you can go to the latest version with no extra charge.

Show me that promise. The only promise that I made was that you'd be able to save back one version.

Show me that promise. The only promise that I made was that you'd be able to save back one version.

Guess it was formulated as: there will always be an option to save back to CS6. Practically that's not a lie but it just didn't sound like you'll have to keep every AE version from now on to be able to go back to CS6. In real life, new CS installers tend to fuck up older CS versions or customers skip every other release cause they're on a version lock (or whatever other reason), which makes the whole issue an even bigger mess.

I still don't understand why it is so complicated to export projects for vintage versions, some programs have had this option for years (Illustrator for example) and with a lot of apps you wouldn't even need to export - new projects just open in older versions with a little warning message that some data might be skipped (C4D, Softimage, Photoshop...). After effects has had placeholders for missing plug-ins for years now - why not build on that technology to open projects from newer software releases?

Edited by levante

Illustrator has a much easier job here, since they just store single documents per file, whereas After Effects stores entire multi-document (i.e., multi-composition) projects.

The main reason for only doing one version back is that each additional version is a huge hit to our quality engineering team. I think that you'd agree that their finite time is best spent on preventing bugs in other parts of the application.

As far as incompatibility of installers ("In real life, new CS installers tend to fuck up older CS versions..."), that is _far_ less true than it used to be. We put quite a lot of work recently into making this much safer.