Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

A linux based OS for Artists?

Ok, so just something that kinda come to mind, and decided to put it out there.

Apparantly Xiaomi will be releasing their first laptop next year. and its linux based.

and ive been seeing more and more people migrate from apple to windows for obvious reasons.

And while i personally prefer windows to apple. I feel like an OS for artists/vfx people can be soo much more than what windows is now.

So im kinda playing with the idea of getting people together to develop it. Obviously it would be based on some relatively popular Linux distribution.

But my biggest issue is how to get the big software players behind it.

I know maxon used to mention a linux version on their website. Maybe blackmagic would be into it? doubt adobe is gonna care...

Development costs could be reasonable if this project is undertaken somewhere in eastern Europe. Maybe even Ukraine. I can get the funds together to get this going most likely. Will talk to a couple of developer friends i have.

Anyway my point is: wouldn't it be great if there was an OS which wasn't targetted at regular consumers, but at professionals? Nicely designed, everything has nice shortcuts, organizational tools, advanced tag system for all files, not just photos and videos. fast preview tools like apple used to have with the space bar. A back up system which will work with your chosen provider...

probably a pipe dream, because without maxon/ adobe/autodesk support no ones gonna use it... but maybe if someone is reading this who is in a position to influence someone in power... one day it'll happen. Or maybe that otoy thing about running apps through a web browser will finally come to fruition and you'll be able to run c4d from an amazon instance on a pretty light weight ultra book.

I like the idea , it can also be reasonably priced or maybe free and open like Linux is ... This can be something people use for side projects if the OS is free and maybe it comes on a hardward that is relatively cheap people can use it in a pipeline like they would use a wacom for example or a 3D Mouse and a regular mouse , they essentialy all do the same thing but people use them in different scenarios

There is a lot of good software on Linux , Blender is a real heavy weight and some people already use it on Windows so maybe they will be early adapters , you have GIMP ofcourse that is just as good as photoshop for the basic stuff but the thing is since most of these are seperate projects there is not much integration between them as for example you see across the adobe platform so you can use ai files in PS and PS files in AE as well as all the stuff you can do with them outside the original software so I think the number one priority should be to bring together all these various software into one place and come up with ways to create a pipeline between them ... Get the best image editing with the best editing suite , the best 3d software and so on and create a bundle of some sort

that can be streamlined and enhanced with a good UI because the UI on apps like GIMP was really weird , on the other hand for example something liek Aamarok looked much ahead of anything on windows

So once again 1- Unify the software experience 2-Unify the User Interface 3-Build the bundle then test it and build it , it's not such a bad idea .. I think I see it though as a OS on the side , not my main OS . maybe in a tablet environment next to my workstation where I can mockup things quickly , maybe model , etc ... so that basically you are on the OS when you are working alone but when you want to get to another computer that would be done through windows

On a side note , I don't know why Houdini gave me the Linux vibe with its' sound effects and windows , and of all the big players out there I think they are the best people to get on board with this

You have an interesting idea Aleksey , if there is any way I can help let me know or drop me a message

But my biggest issue is how to get the big software players behind it.

Nothing to make a song and dance about: When the metrics add up. And since they don't, it's probably a pipe dream, as you put it yourself. Even "professionals" won't bother. It's too small a market until there are flagship apps like Photoshop available for Linux. The likelihood of that happening is infinitesimal. If you need more proof, you just need to look around - there were Linux render clients for several 3D programs already, but they've all been pulped because development effort vs. actual people using them didn't work out. Now imagine the work for a full port of C4D or whatever and then nobody switches to Linux. It's the classic chicken-egg-problem. That being said, there's several other prerequisites like AMD and nVidia having to offer proper driver support first, so I don't see it happening. There are reasons why I don't use Blender or GIMP and least of all on Linux and I feel that many other users share that experience. Unless you have some very specific need to e.g. run Nuke, Houdini or Maya on Linux and an "IT guy" to back it up and help you with the technicalities, it's not relevant. If at all I could see a few doors opening via the gaming market with Steam boxes that could lead to more native development on Linux and thus require respective content creation tools, but that's still some distance away...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

ye.. we where talking about it on slack.

i guess in the end the only chance it has of working is if adobe makes Adobe OS with the whole creative cloud on it. and then others can join in.

if adobe makes Adobe OS

I hope not. Given, how they don't even have a handle on their conventional products, that could only end up as a disaster.

Mylenium

It's also worth nothing that after all this time, not only is there pretty much no one who still supports Linux (no good photo editor, no good motion graphic program, and so on and so on), Linux doesn't even have a decent, polished GUI. There have been ten trillion attempts to make a decent user interface, but even the ones with the most support and money behind them are steaming piles of turd.

Nothing will make you appreciate Windows and OS X like having to use Linux, even once.

Anyway my point is: wouldn't it be great if there was an OS which wasn't targetted at regular consumers, but at professionals? Nicely designed, everything has nice shortcuts, organizational tools, advanced tag system for all files, not just photos and videos. fast preview tools like apple used to have with the space bar. A back up system which will work with your chosen provider...

I would be interested in a bit of software that does these things, but runs inside of Windows. Sort of like a Windows Explorer alternative aimed at design people.

Adobe Bridge tries to do some of it....but not well enough.

hm.. That's a good point. The reason i was thinking about this.

because i spend some time customizing my installation. and installing various apps. maybe if it all could be bundled together.. probably a lot more productive

more talk on slack.

looks realistically what we really need isn't so much a new OS, but maybe a new file browser like an adobe bridge that doesn't suck.

which feels like a much more manageable task..

I'll get in an early feature request :ph34r:

DaVinci Resolve has a wonderful way of handling image sequences in its media browser. Instead of displaying hundreds of individual files, it automatically makes one thumbnail that you can scrub through. 100% suck-less.