Sign in to follow this  
Spunj

Illustrator Gradient Overlay?

I have some Illustrator artwork that has a whole bunch of objects and layers. All the objects have fills and I would like to apply a black and white gradient overlay to the objects so they maintain the same colour but take on the gradients light to dark attributes. This is done in Photoshop by applying a gradient layer style, then use a transfer mode. Can this be done in illustrator. Right now it seems to me that I have to click on the object, click on the gradient (which then makes the object a black and white gradient), then manually go in and select the color for each part of the gradient. A huge pain in the ass for the amount of different colored objects. Is there any other way? I could export the layers to photoshop and apply gradient overlays there, but I'd have to separate each object to it's own layer, then I am screwed if I need to go back and edit shapes.

-Spunj

You could create a gradient mesh and fit duplicates of it to each element. A simple rectangle containing the gradient would do. This takes care of both aspects and eliminates AI's annoying gradient behavior from the equation, though it still involves quite a bit of manual resizing and making good use of anchor point alignment tools.

Mylenium

This is simple to do in Illustrator. You want to use the "Appearance" panel and simply add a second fill. You can then fill that with a simple black and white gradient. Finally, set the transfer mode (Color Burn in this example) and you are good to go. Note: you can change the transfer mode by clicking the "opacity" link under the gradient fill.

Here's a screenshot for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/466h9nqdwm1ivyh/Screenshot%202015-10-30%2014.16.46.png?dl=0

The Appearance panel is very powerful and I've noticed over the years that most people don't take advantage of it.... Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope that helps,

-Joe