Sign in to follow this  
mrTibbs

Thoughts on how these two shots were accomplished?

Hi,

I was watching the video "Abengoa: The Future of What's Left Behind" and while the entire piece is fantastic, I was really struck on two sections in particular:

The first is the segment at :22sec where there is a combine cutting down stalks of corn and the terrain on the ground seems to move and deform underneath as well as the texture.

22sec.png

The second segment is during the 1:00min mark where the cars on the assembly line seem to be booleaned off the scene with only a red segment showing. Very cool.

1min.png

Any clue how either of them were accomplished? Thanks!

In C4D

Put the cars inside a cloner, put the cloner and another square inside a boole object, square on top of the of the list. Animate the position of the the cloner from left to right. Thats it, same with the corn crop scene.

In my experience the boole object is super glitchy. I have tried to do similar things with the boole objects and rarely have gotten acceptable results with animation. There has to be a better way.

I do a lot of Agricultural stuff so I am definitely interested in learning more about how to do the corn part. In the past I have used hair for wheat, and then used a proximal shader to "cut" the wheat as the combine moves over it.

-Spunj

Take the entire animation and put it inside a cube

Set the cube to have a 100% transparent material on it with 1 for the IOR and no specular

Put a compositing tag on the animation that is inside the cube and have it only set to seen by transparency/refraction

Anything inside the transparent cube will show up, anything outside will not be seen by the camera

-m

The corn crop scene most definitely uses cloners with a cubic falloff or something similar. The stalks actually scale/ shrink before they go out of the square area. Otherwise there could be a million things used, with semifiction's suggestion being a good start. Real booleans could also be used, though not in the way most of you probably think they are used... ;-)

Mylenium