Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tread

More work from the Tread meister

Guest Tread

Get this thing away from me. I've been staring at it for the past 6 days straight. Time to go sleep.

Music is Aphex Twin, Film

Poem is a modified version of 'To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time' by Robert Herrick

Ok, say what you will. I need fresh eyes to look at it.

look

Ted

Edited by Tread

Guest Tread

ahh, crap, I didn't stream it. Fixing...

OK, now streamed.

Edited by Tread

Guest loRez
ahh, crap, I didn't stream it. Fixing...

OK, now streamed.

24964[/snapback]

All in all, nice work. The only part that bothered me (this is REALLY nitpicky) is where the organic growth lines were coming out with the dots next to the 'branches'. For some reason, it just didn't seem quite right. Immediately after that however was a very unexpected (but welcomed) change of pace where you had the words coming up in parenthesis and the dots would flash representing that word.

I dig it. As I am fairly new to this forum, I'm not aware of what software you use. Would you mind elaborating on what you used for this?

Thanks

Guest Beaver

For a longer mograph piece it really held my attention well. It's a good poem to use and with the changing styles I'm interested to see what's going to happen next. The shattered text coming together looks awesome, and the motion throughout has enough detail to really make it interesting.

IMO, the one area that is lacking is the braille section at the end. I realize the beat drops out a bit there and you're probably adjusting the intensity for that, but maybe you over-corrected.

That Aphex Twin track sounds a little like something from Willy Wonka (Pure Imagination) and that is cool.

The whole thing is friggin awesome.

Guest myExperiment

i like it. it feels like it should be used for one of those youworkforthem typeface pieces. i agree about the braile section. the energy was lost. are you using the audio as it normall is? don't be afraid to remix the audio to create your own version of the song to fit your needs.

i'm starting to see a pattern in your work: 3dstroke and ink in water... they're used well, but i'd love to see what else you can think up.

Guest Beaver

P.S. I also like how you visually turned the action at that turning point in the poem. The music worked well for you there also.

Guest Eric

Great piece Ted. I like that your style uses 3D stroke and Ink and water. I think that it's okay to repeat as along as you push it further in the next one and the one after that. I agree that it can be easy to fall into a "plugin or method trap' but I think that the elements you chose work well for this particular piece.

Nice flow throughout. You did a really nice job.

Guest joconnell

Looks great indeed - As some folks have said it kinda suffers from repetition in places but it's a really nice treatment of the music - can't wait to get some spare time to do this myself - You're getting very fucking good at this stuff with every new piece you put up :D

Guest nextseason

Awesome work Ted.

The beginning of the piece is great, really great timing and movement.

I lost interest when the 3D stroke part is introduced with the dots. It flows really nicely but the design just isn't as interesting as the standard you set in the beginning. I feel the same about the braile part as well.

Guest FlipSwitch

that shit is hot!...i agree though...i thought it was going to get more complicated as apposed to being simplfied towards the end...other than that...great work doood

Rj ;)

Guest Banjomamo

great piece again. i dont think the design gets lost anywhere - meaning the entire piece's subtle changes really work. it may not be as exciting for the brail section but i think it works really well. the simplcity of the end is its beauty.

one nitpick - i would drop the ink. it adds nothing visually significant. the motion going on in that section gives it the steam it needs for a tone poem.

Guest postmodern

kicks ass!! i like the way it ended.. its like a nice smooth high thats real chill in the end... maybe instead of one word per beat you could use a string of words...or sentence.. braile gives off a real nice pattern when used as a sentence. the black background is an interestiing choice regardless if it was intentional or not... reminds of the old school mograph from the late 70's early 80's pioneers digital effects

> http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/lesson6.html#raa

Guest poly

I just watched it with the sound off, which is how I often do a first-viewing on a piece.

Found it riveting, definitely felt the music even though I had it turned off, and was really, really digging the braille at the end.

Then I read the other comments... and I say Hmf!

I guess I'm just a linguiphile and a sucker for high concept and I mean that in the pre-ironic sense.

Guest Tread

Thanks for all the GREAT comments guys!

It seems the crowd is split about the design at the end. The growing vine with the dot was a premeditated design, but the execution was a bit sloppy. It was all for times sake. I have to present it tomorrow.

I also have problems with the braille. I don't feel like it captures the music like the rest does(which by the way, the music is completely unaltered except for about 15 seconds that I took out to get through a section quicker).

The response seems off, and the type coming up underneath, I feel, confuses where your eye is led to look. I need to work on it. I think I can keep the mellowness of it but still make it flow a little more like the rest of the pieces.

Thanks for the great comments guys

Oh, and to answer the question from above... this was done in after effects, supplemented by illustrator and Cinema4d

Ted

Edited by Tread

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Very nice work... I liked the tempo changes throughout.

I used this track for my reel about 3-4 years ago. I couldn't help but think of it as I watched your piece, but it was engaging enough to break my mind's hold of what I did with the piece.

Great!

Guest clintvideo

If I could do something that beautiful just *once* I'd be happy. That's the kind of music that's perfect for watching northern lights and stuff up here, not everybody can put graphics to it as well.

I'm a nuts and bolts guy, seems like I haven't two creative brain cells to rub together. How long did that take you to brainstorm and execute?

Thanks,

Clint

Guest Tread

I think overall, it prolly took 7 days of concept and execution.

hiphopcr, I'll be your hero, but I'm not wearing a blue and red suit with a big T on the front.

Yeah, so I like 3d stroke, so what... at least I don't use shine as much as I use 3d stroke. Ha.

Ted

Guest nextseason

poly: Then I read the other comments... and I say Hmf!

I'm not really sure why? Ted is an exceptional artist and deserves only the best and most honest criticism for all the hard work he puts in.

I give the same amount of feedback that I know these guys would give to me, that's how it works and that's how we improve.

I've never worked on a project that I could honestly say "That's perfect, there's nothing more to change on it." If not for deadlines I would fuss and change things forever. We always need criticism.

Guest myExperiment

i totally agree. people tend to learn more when they're pushed. if all a person get is complements then they become comfortable with what they're doing. when a designer becomes comfortable they stop exploring, experimenting, and thus become less creative.

anyway, a crit is mostly suggestion. rules can be broken, should be broken. our work is very subjective and will mean different things to different people.

Guest Tread

I think poly was just saying that he thought the ending was fine, which it seems to be a split opinion. Myself, I don't think it's fine, along with many other things... like nextseason said, nothing is ever done. I think good designers usually don't like their own work.

I could only hope for good criticism. I love being praised, as would anyone, but it get's me nowhere but comfortable, as myExp said. A good butt kicking always works to get you moving.

As U may notice, I frequently lay into people when they post their reels. I see alot of big no-no's, and I'm not shy to let them knnow. I would hope for the same.

So thanks!

Ted

Guest Beaver
and I'm not shy to let them knnow.

25137[/snapback]

Let me guess, you're using the apple pro keyboard - the most typo prone keyboard in the known universe.

I love how it feels, but often type double-letters.

/ok I'll stop changing the subject now.