Sign in to follow this  
Guest vuzz

state and style of motion design

Guest vuzz

Damm, just finished 12 hours of roto work, my eyes are square.

Anyway to my post. Last night while sitting back and watching the hockey, my amigos kept pointing out how I keep noticing the GFX more than the game. It seems my eyes are trained to it. Anyway it brought on a discusion about the design on TV. All 3 of my amigos are working designers but all in different fields, web, print, 3d. We came to the conclusion that in our pop savy culture that almost any style can work today. It all comes down to keeping it simple, even the most abstract stuff is simple at it's core when its a good design.

I wanted to post this just to ask if you agree, and in what direction is design in broadcast going. Myself I see 2 styles all over the place 3D abstract for news and sports and totally on the other side a more organic cut out rough cut look that seems to be poping up. I guess what I'm trying to say is anything goes and thats good as long as it's done well.

Whatever, I don't know if I even have a question really, I'm just blabing.

V

Guest igorschmigor

Like my Illustration-Prof likes to say at least once a day: less is more. I'm not sure if it's always true though. I think the most important part is consistency, which means you can get as complex as you like as long as you stick to an overall mood/style/aesthetic/idea.

About styles, i think we've already had that discussion in the mograph central "Current state of motion graphics (was EXOPOLIS)"-thread.

Anything goes as long as it fits the purpose. There are countless different styles because there are countless different people to work for. A Punk-videoclip might look a little strange in a clean vector look. Then again a bank would look less trustworthy with a grungy comercial.

Guest flowrez

Less is more.... whatever man. It's just an idea, or isn't it?

When you have less... you have less things to fuck up.

If you only have got a few elements, you can spend a lot of time finding the right composition for just a few pieces. Spending the same amount of time to 10 times more elements... Does it give the same quality? or should you also spend 10 times more work in it?

This could mean : spend more time on "more" and "more is more aswell"

....more or less.

flo