Sign in to follow this  
Guest SermonOfMockery

new reel

Guest ESC

You have cool stuff in there Sermon. I dig many of the pieces.

However, I did feel that the edit was a bit off

or felt that the flow was rough in certain areas.

The piece after the Rockstar Games one is really cool.

Guest FlipSwitch

im a fan...i really like the track...who is it...i also think the form logo and PS thing shouldve been more towards the begining

Guest SermonOfMockery

track is by Chaz Windus - www.blazinglazer.com, he's a genius

Guest fredcamino

intro looks really good man, much better. the work is tight like a 19 year old, but... WWJHD? he'd tighten the edit a lot more.

Guest isotropy

Your stuff looks good sermon... My fravourite moment is the ships from Graduis.

Personally, I'd like to see some of those spots with more depth to them... the ones where you're scrolling right, or up and pan across a bunch of images... I'd just layer a few things closer to the camera. Also, the animation seems really 'quick' (for lack of a better word). I think some of the objects could use a few extra frames of animation in there just to remove a bit of the jerkiness.

But having said that, I think that it works with the music in the reel nicely... Had you chosen different, slower music, I don't think it would have meshed very well, but it does work with what you have :)

Nice. I hope to some day put together a new reel of this quality for myself... I haven't touched my reel since 2002.

Guest Tread

I think we are all familiar with your work, and it seems you really do stick to your own style. I'm just wondering, is that what you are trying to do? This style is so specific, and I'm not sure how it would come accross to potential employers, if you are going to actually look for a job. U know what I'm sayin? Are you limiting yourself... can you only do this kinda stuff?

Another thing, I think you need to step it up in your animation. You do alot of uneased movements, one bounce recoils, and like isotropy said, alot of 'quick' throws. I'd say start really tweaking those velocity curves. I dunno, this may be your 'thing'. But I think a 'thing' still has to have a sense of technical depth, no matter the style. I think this stuff is right on that edge technically, where it comes off as a slight lack of knowledge/effort. I'm just wondering which one, cuz you seem pretty knowledgable about alot of things round heeeaaah.

also, with using chaz's music... did you ask him? Or just grab a track? I'm just wondering since he is so plugged into our industry, if he would catch wind of someone using his music and have a problem with it.

Just to note, I'm not hatin' here... just speaking my mind. Most respect to the sermon.

Ted

Edited by Tread

Guest 3rdMARTINI

I agree with Fred... a little tighter will do it.

My only other crit about it is that the Dreamcast piece at the very end feels a little like you threw it together to make sure the rest of the reel timed out OK.

Either pull it or finesse it (i.e. not just over black).

Great reel the rest of the time!

Guest SermonOfMockery

for chaz, i paid him... he seems like a good dude so i definitely wouldn't use one of his tracks without asking.

but yeah youre right i definitely need to work on my animation skillzzz. a lot of that stuff is older, i've been concentrating on that lately. part of it that design is always #1 for me more than animation, but i need to figure that shit out though because you're right, it needs work.

most of my work right now is for 1 client, and thats the style they like, but i also think it's better to get really good at one thing than spread yourself thin by trying to do too much, you know? maybe it will bite me in the ass though, i guess i'll find out ha ha!

oh and now that i look at it i guess the edit could use some work... i should probably go back and fiddle with it some more.

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest 3rdMARTINI
but i also think it's better to get really good at one thing than spread yourself thin by trying to do too much, you know? maybe it will bite me in the ass though, i guess i'll find out ha ha!

It just might. Eventually this style will no longer be in fashion, then you'll be scrambling to try to dress yourself up for the next trend. Even if you don't include it in your reel, you should try to experiment with all styles just to keep yourself fresh and versatile.

Guest invisibleelement

All in All, I like the reel. I think you have some strong pieces in there.

As stated in prior posts, you could tighten up a few animation segments... there were a few really quick motion blurred objects like skaters that moved a little too fast.

Something that stuck out to me was that the first piece, metermagazine.com. The camera movement started out slow but then gradually ramped up to a much better speed... I think it would be nice keeping the pace that you finish with rather than having the speed ramp.

Also, I would either cut or replace the courier typeface you used for "CHASE JARVIS". There really isn't anything wrong with it, but when you compare it to the other typefaces (custom fonts you created, hand drawn, and the more Pop type) throughout the reel, it just lacks and seems more amature than the calliber work you create.

Anyway, I enjoy your work... take or leave any crit above.

Cheers -

Guest renascent

even though the soundtrack is fun it doesnt fit your edit, its goin way to slow to work in harmony with the track, either speed everything up x2... or work with another track.... with that track you should be cutting and speeding much like Gmunks reel.

Guest Sao_Bento

If you could have had Mike Vallely kicking Hosoi's ass, it would've been a little cooler. Nice stuff though - you down your AE skills too much.

Guest meano

Ya it takes a real genius to take a misfits song run it through some effects then sell it to someone to put in their reel

Hybridmoments

Guest meano

hey im just a big misfits fan

and my friend was playing the reel

so i felt i had to say something sorry

if this happened to anyone i know

id be sure to tell them

would it be better if i said nothing

Guest Banjomamo

Dude it would have been better if you hadnt said something because you are wrong. The only thing similiar there is a chord progression - tons of songs share that.

Having worked with Chaz myself on a couple projects, I know what he can do and what he charges. Sermon got a cool track on his reel that no one else will have. Even if he got his inspiration from that song, who the fuck cares? The Postal Service version of Such Great Heights is way better than Iron and Wine's - who actually wrote it.

Guest meano

whatever man believe what you want

but i think you guys are missing something the lyrics are exactly the same

ill save you guys the trouble and paste them in here

now just follow along with your reel

heh maybe ill make a bouncy ball thing for those of you who need visuals

MISFITS LYRICS

"Hybrid Moments"

if you're gonna scream,

scream with me

moments like this never last

When new creatures rape your face

Hybrids open up the door

ooh baby when you cry

your face is momentary

you hide your looks behind these scars

in hybrid moments

give me a moment

give me a moment

give me a moment

ooh baby when you cry

your face is momentary

you hide your looks behind these scars

in hybrid moments

in hybrid moments

in hybrid moments

in hybrid moments

give me a moment

give me a moment

the song is blazing

31150[/snapback]

Guest CHEYNE

what are you on about meano,you a big misfits fan?do you seethe when you see it exploited so shamelessly? How about the fact they used to be so underground and cool....?! u know before there were misfits dusters,Does anyone else find it amusing you can buy this "alternative" gear from a chain store..Hot Topic i mean WHOAH man,(carcastic just fuken around,shits and giggles-dont take offence)....and anyway as for the reel it flows well with the song,except a few bits like when it holds on "chase jarvis",that section and animation just doesnt do it for me,its like the motion blur anihalates any graphic it encounters,e.g snowborder goin down rail. The start is sweet especially the buff chick.An end editing too,good song go nuts keep movin and spark a doobyweed.:}

Guest capitalJ

ok this is retarded

get your money back dood

what are you on about meano,you a big misfits fan?do you seethe when you see it exploited so shamelessly? How about the fact they used to be so underground and cool....?! u know before there were misfits dusters,Does anyone else find it amusing you can buy this "alternative" gear from a chain store..Hot Topic i mean WHOAH man,(carcastic just fuken around,shits and giggles-dont take offence)....and anyway as for the reel it flows well with the song,except a few bits like when it holds on "chase jarvis",that section and animation just doesnt do it for me,its like the motion blur anihalates any graphic it encounters,e.g snowborder goin down rail. The start is sweet especially the buff chick.An end editing too,good song go nuts keep movin and spark a doobyweed.:}

31158[/snapback]

Guest dreamrec

just curious .. how much money did you pay for the song ?

was the passion for justin harder ?

:P