Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

LOTR TTT / colour grading

Guest firemind

My brain is mush from watching the two DVDs with extras in one long go (over 6 hours). What irked me a bit was the relatively little attention towards the digital stuff. Bay Raitt got to say a few lines, we quickly saw a minute about colour grading (looked like Discreet Lustre to me, but I might be wrong). I guess Cinefex'll have to satisfy my needs.

Anyway, it's fun to see how digital colour grading is the hot new thing in film, it seems it took 'em a decade to catch up to video there. Maybe we'll see vector silhouettes in movies next ;)

Guest vuzz

On the Discreet site if you look under Lustre and Inferno some of the work examples, they have from Eclair Studio I think it is has some color grading stuff, just fluff really but nice to see how some of the big boys work it.

V

Guest borax

What struck me while watching the third movie was the highlighting of faces, which was really not too subtle in some shots. I think the color correction was nice, but overdone on a few occasions.

Guest firemind

Just saw ROTK and yes, the glows and highlighting was very overdone. I noticed some glaringly obvious mistakes as well in some shots, I guess the huge workload means some shots just slip by. Ohwell, hopefully they'll be fixed for the DVD release.

Guest borax

I just finished rewatching FOTR (with one of the commentary tracks) and the thing that came over as fake to me was the scene where they enter the mines of Moria and the only source of light is Gandalfs stick. (Special edition disc 2, chapter 7)

It was either designed to look like a very particular sort of 'magic' light or just plain obvious that it was shot with normal lighting and later darkened, resulting in fake looking lighting and shadows.

But hey, most of the compositing and 3D work on all three movies was done real nice, don't you agree?

Guest parallax

Watched it for the 2nd time last night.

Great film, although PJ should really cut back on the Wescams and supercranes. I got a bit nauseous watching Minas Tirith spin like a michael jackson.

Also, the editing was only so-so at times. Quite surprising.

Other then that, great film.