Sign in to follow this  
Guest eyetwist

reel credits

Guest eyetwist

here's a topic I thought I'd throw out there for debate & discussion.

i am the head of an on-air promo dept. for a network based in los angeles. i receive many demo reels from various designers and agencies. i see the same work on many of the reels.

here's my problem: very very few of the designers/agencies credit the original project, original agency or collaborating partners. designers move move around quite a bit - i get that. this is a growing trend as clients chase "rockstar" designers from creative agency to creative agency.

however when i see work that i like on multiple reels without full credits, i have no idea where the original creative originated from. the end result is that reels start to look all the same.

when i started in the business in the early 90s (as a motion designer), it was an unwritten rule that you included a fully credited cutlist with your reel. where did that go?

does anyone agree with my view of this issue?

Guest firemind

Yes definately, because even if multiple designers worked on a piece you want to know who did what exactly. Dongjoo did and it made everyone go 'duh, why doesn't anyone else make a list like that'.

I understand designers just wanting to show off incredible stuff tho, even if their role in it was perhaps only executive. I've done it myself a few times in my early portfolios, but in the end you'll be exposed anyway, which is (unfortunately) worse for the employer than the employee :(

Guest renascent

yes, it is annoying and happened to me too... the work that i have done for Sirius can be found on 3 or 4 other reels too because one edited, the other added overlays or whatever... i say in general give credit were it is due... i mean if i would have only added typograpy to a commercial and put that in my reel i'd basically be lieing to myself and potential clients.

Guest firemind

With the market demanding absolute spectecular work tho, annoying as it is, it is understandable a lot of work gets 'hi-jacked' that way. In the end it doesn't help the designer faking his reel/portfolio like that, but it does often get them a foot in the door :(