Sign in to follow this  
Guest the_Monkey

C4D/AE Example & H.264 Test

Guest the_Monkey

I see many posts here at mograph asking about the integration between 3D applications and AE, specifically C4D. While every artist has their own personal preference and methods... I'm a big fan of doing the heavy lifting and timing work 3D and then refining the look in AE.

This was an intro I made for Nautica a few days ago and decided to post it as 1) an example of how I choose to use c4d/ae together and 2) a test for Compressor 2.0 using both MPEG-4 and H.264. Any comments pertaining to speed of the download or image resolution (also info pertaining to machine type or internet connection) would be greatly appreciated. I've been wanting to switch to H264 for work but haven't tested it much yet.

I made this as a favor for a friend, so while you're free to make comments regarding content/aesthitics -- no changes will be made (even friendship has limits). ;)

MPEG4 - Quicktime 6 Required: 1.4 MB

http://simplebox.org/files/temp/Nautica_WEBComp_MPEG.mov

H.264 - Quicktime 7 Required: 2.4 MB

http://simplebox.org/files/temp/Nautica_WEBComp_H264.mov

Thanks all.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Guest BKM

Nice logo animation and nice look at the integration. Thanks. What did you do in AE to finesse the C4D? Looks like some color grading... background work... anyting else? Did you C4D render have and alpha?

BKM

Guest SermonOfMockery

actually, that's really fucking nice work there buddy. i dig it, great concept.

Guest mezonik

me likes. i dunno videos that feature before and after composites always draw my attention.

Guest govinda

You're fast becoming one of my favorite artists with your experiments and one-offs. If I see you've got something new I leap to look at it as if it was a new Lobo piece. That water is a completely new thing to me--what a great idea.

Guest renascent

pretty cool, the logo reveal is great, maybe speed up the first half by 50%, the pace feels too slow there

*edit

or even allot faster... problem is youll have to redo the water... cause itll act funny at that highspeed...

Edited by renascent

Guest govinda

I'm kinda slow. Water reflection...Nautica. Hello.

Whatcha got here is yer basic smart concept with sweet execution, all unified tuhgether. It qualifies as a

australia-golden-nugget-sm.JPG

nugget.

Guest the_Monkey

Thanks all for the kind words.

Regarding Process: Yes, BKM, the AE work is just color grading, a little blur, and a touch of time displacement. I used to export a ton of object buffers (alpha channels) from C4D, but it got pretty messy. These days I never pull more than 2 or 3 mattes from C4D and use BCC filters to flip/tweak/add alphas in AE.

Regarding Timing: This piece actually has a soundtrack created by Nick Rosenthal (the same guy responsible for the green speaker sfx). The letters actually grow at 120 bpm with the music which make it seem more fluid and evenly paced. It was omitted since the client hasn't even seen it.

However, if there were no soundtrack and this was a standalone piece (instead of an intro to a 3 min. loop), renascent is absolutely right about the timing. And it's precisely why I like to do most of my timing in C4D. With a single Xpresso node I could rangemap the undulation of the water to move proportionally with the timeline. The changes would take a few minutes. I also just started using the motion tracks in C4D. They truly boggle the mind with possibilities.

-m

Guest Feniks

I'm not a C4D user but i'm interested in how much control and stability you get from the 2 together.

I found in the past using rpf/rla to copy motion data from max to ae can be a hard time (camera lens was never right, needed to change it manually to be correct). Now I tested a nifty plugin for copy/pasting cameradata, layerdata from max to ae (plugin from www.boomerlabs.com, first version is allready released and for sale, in meantime further betatesting next release)

I used it in the bacardi commercial I posted previously and must say it's a dream working with.

Guest nextseason

The animation is really great.

I love how you treated it in AE.

A+ bro

Guest fredcamino

this post can serve as another reminder of how limited and shitty C4D is.

Guest JR
this post can serve as another reminder of how limited and shitty C4D is.

35131[/snapback]

ill take limited and shitty over taking all freaking week to render some simple crap out--but ill save that and stick to his post.

Looks really nice, did u use caustics for the displacement in c4d ?

JR

Guest postmodern

super clean well executed!!! this type of mograph stands the sands of time.

Guest carniceria

Way ta stick it to the man! Loved the first one. The second one, the specular on the water seems too sharp, too 3d looking, but the concept is on fire for both!

I'm also with you on the 3d to AE business. If anything I'll make 3d alphas and do background in AE, but honestly you can do almost everything in C4D.

Edited by carniceria

Guest Sao_Bento

I just completed another ID for Nautica.

I was told the theme was lens flares.

I gave them this instead.

-m

That's totally dope. Like Carneceria, something about the water struck me as odd. Looking at the first frame while waiting for it to load, it looked like the water was toon shader style, or illustrated, but the movement was very smoothly CG. It still works though. I like the simplicity - excellent mastery of the "ah ha moment".

Guest Chinaski

Very good, Monkey!

The only thing I would say about the first one is that the lighting on the objects looks a little too harsh. It would have been nice to have a bit of a softer GI-look to it, in my opinion.

The other thing that would have really upped the level of the piece would have been to add some displacement and particle effects to the water as the logo rises out of it. See http://www.particlefx.com/animation/intermedia/index.html for what I'm talking about.

I liked the 2nd piece, too. I agree with the comment about the water looking too CG-ish, but it still looks great.

Guest Sao_Bento

add some displacement and particle effects to the water as the logo rises out of it.

My take on it was that the reflections in the waves form the logo based upon angle of view, not that the logo was an object that pops up out of the water.