Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

etymological origins of "style shop"?

Guest Sao_Bento

I've seen the term "style shop" tossed about quite a bit here, and while I understand the concept, I wonder where the term came from. You guys (Firemind/Igor) seem to use it freely enough that it must be an accepted term, yet I'd never heard it before I visited this site. Can you offer any insights here?

Thanks,

SB

Guest firemind

Honestly, I don't know where it originated. I've seen it used in a bunch of places tho, I assumed it was an established thing :wink:

Guest Sao_Bento

That's cool, I just thought maybe you guys went to school together or worked at the same giant facility or started your own cult or something.

Thanks,

SB

Guest igorschmigor

i don't even remember having used that word. Did i really? If so, i must have picked it up here at mograph.

Guest parallax

Also don't know where the word came from, but to me its probably a shop that 'does' one style.

Can't think of anything else.

ps.

I'm new to the board, been lurking here for ages , so i decided to step out of the dark & lurkiness, and register with this fine board :)

keep it up!

Guest Sao_Bento

Yeah, My understanding is that the phrase "style shop" refers to a place who only does one look or trick (psyop, MK12, etc.) The idea being to ride the wave of a popular style, then reinvent yourself once the style has been worn out.

It's an interesting way capitalisim has had an influence on the design community. It changes the role of a design firm from selling services to selling a product. I'd also say that this new business model is also the result of the democratizing effect of technology. Thanks to the desktop revolution there are more people in the field of graphic design than ever before, many of whom are unfamiliar with graphic design in a traditional sense. Eventually it will all settle out, but in the meantime it's interesting to see the people at a very "proper" graphic design message board like Speak Up (http://www.underconsideration.com/speakup_v2/0) fret about how outrageous it is that someone used inch marks instead of proper quotes while these geniuses (http://www.thelogofactory.com/) sell logos for $ 20.00 on a 24 hour turnaround.