Sign in to follow this  
Guest SermonOfMockery

little 3D WIP

Guest SermonOfMockery

will eventually be for a pitch for a celeb video game-themed show... since i'm terrible at 3D i thought i'd throw these up and see if anyone sees something that could be better... i'll post animations once i have those too, i'm thinking the lid will open up, the cartidge will come out, and the camera will zoom in on the cartridge label, which has an animation of the show's logo and all that on it.

Region.jpg

Region2.jpg

Region3.jpg

Guest thomwill

nice model. thats an atari right? ;)

hehehe... seriously though nice start. what are you modeling in?

Guest C-FU

Hehehe Ahh the old days. BY the way your cart is backwards. :huh:

These are how old Nintendos broke. No matter.

push left, push right, then blow

OMG it works again. If not slap the sh!t out of it then it will flicker different colors on the screen and then it will straighten up.

Guest Resbot

Looks great, I've only got some technical comments. I know thats not a final rendered image, but it looks like you need to turn "smoothing" off in the material or object settings for the console box (never used XSI, I'm assuming that option is in the material shader). And make sure to add a small bevel to the sharp edges, that can make a huge difference (can't tell if you already did that).

This makes me itch to play some double dragon.

Edited by Resbot

Guest SermonOfMockery

resbot, this is exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. there are bevels, but what do you mean about the smoothing? does the material look to creamy to you?

Guest kagu

This makes me itch to play some double dragon.

40961[/snapback]

"CONTRA" - up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, START = 99 lives!

Guest thomwill
here's a quick render of where i'm at with the animation... it feels a little fast to me, what do you folks think? i'm new to this 3D business so i'm not very sure of myself...

http://everythingwentblack.com/misc/NES_animatic.mov

40972[/snapback]

yeah it might be a little fast. i think the part that bothers me the most is camera whipping around the face the label. maybe adjusting the speed of this or the path of the camera will help. good start though, dig the concept.

Guest govinda

Looks better as a toon render definitely. In fact looks fucking cool, man. The 'smoothing' thing up above is talking about how there are some weird shadings on the top of the model. That usually means that your 'phong' shading isn't set at the right angle (do other apps use that?). Lower the angle and the display won't try to round non-round things.

I agree with Thom re the speed and the cartridge. The speed is simple. As for the cartridge it looks like you have a camera target, and because the cam is right above the final landing point for the cartridge, the camera *almost* gimbals. The answer is to have the target separate from the cartridge so the camera lags on its tilt (which is more human-like), and to have the camera at a more oblique angle, not so flush above the cartridge.

Looks like you're having a good time. This'll be good. Check out the old Blur reel intro by our member Chinaski for another really good take on this using a video tape player. It's no longer the Blur reel intro, but it's on their design reel towards the end.

Guest Beaver

I wouldn't say you're f-ing terrible. It looks pretty good to me! Hope you post the whole piece when it's done.

Guest clintvideo
"CONTRA" - up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, START = 99 lives!

40965[/snapback]

Funny...I have that same combination on my luggage! :-)

Seriously tho, that's also the invincibility mode in Rainbow Six 3.

When I saw the top of the NES object there my first thought was smoothing activated for the surface. But I'm a Lightwave Lightweight. See what I did there?

Cf

Guest fredcamino

this sucks but i'll give you credit because you are an absolute idiot.

just kidding it looks cool as shits. i have no advice since i don't know 3D and definately not XSI. make it better i guess? :wub:

PS: i LOVE celebs and i LOVE video games. this is one of those shows that cant lose!

Edited by fredcamino

Guest Resbot

Like Govinda said, there are big gradient splotches on the surface of the object, which happens when a 3d app trys to smooth between polygons which are at too sharp an angle from eachother (the small bevel and the top of the box).

really noticeable in this view:

Region2.jpg

I think you should either turn smoothing off, or add small border polygons around all the large flat areas. If you do that (time consuming) the slight smoothness on the edges might look cool, or suck.

also I think the light and power/reset buttons are too high.

nesb.jpg

Guest SermonOfMockery

resbot, thank you so much! i was wondering what was up with the weird shading on the top there. i thought it was my lighting setup, but i just added some polys up on the top (just subdivided it) and it fixed it right up. thanks!!

edit- looks a lot better i think:

smooth_fix.jpg

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest djkorova

Yeah, I say unless you can make the robot movement work, grab the handles and bayzeeay...

Guest duncanjm

Looks like you're going for a toon look, but if you're NOT, try a little scuff, scratch, marks and dust.

Plus a bit of blue-tinged light from the left, yellow-tinged from the right can sometimes add to the realism of the lighting.

But if you ARE going for toony/cell, change nothing. :)

Guest scottgfx
test render... some things i'm not crazy about but i think with motion blur they'll be tough to see...

http://everythingwentblack.com/misc/nes_test_render_hi.mov

41025[/snapback]

I like how it starts out. Kind of over-spins and bumps back to where it should go. -cool

As other have said, there is something up with the cartridge flying past the camera. I think you need to tune out some of that camera motion somehow. Perhaps think about having the cart slightly tumble to meet the camera perhaps? Pull the camera back away from the cart as it passes to avoid the gimble-lock effect?

My crits aside, I think you're on the right track!

Scott

Guest SermonOfMockery

duncan, i am indeed going for a stylized look, but thanks for the lighting tips. lighting is very, very hard so i appreciate it.

scott, thank you also. camera moves are hard for me too!

Guest parallax

40965[/snapback]

That is not correct, that should be: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

Right before the Konami Ident ends. You'll hear this weird sound when you punch it in correctly ;)

At least, this is in the Euro version where it's called Super Probotector, maybe it's different in the US version. My god i'm such a nerd.

Guest SermonOfMockery

parallax is correct (on the code, and Probotector). i think the only difference is that in probotector, some of the enemies are changed to look like robots instead of people or something?? i don't know, it's been a long time since i played it...

Guest PlayerHater

anyone remember the other game by konami that code worked for? it was alot like contra but you were space ships instead of people.

anyone?