Sign in to follow this  
Guest boywonder

The ever growing AE shortcut keys & tips thread!

Turn off all other solo switches

Mac Option-click solo switch

Windows Alt-click solo switch

This is in the "Shortcuts: layers" section of After Effects Help.

Seriously, why do people keep posting individual keyboard shortcuts here when they are all in the "Keyboard shortcuts" chapter of After Effects Help?

not sure if this is already covered here but. AE does all the mathametical calculation for you in any filed that takes number. so in you want something to rotate 1/5 of 360 degrees you can just in put 360/5 in the value field.

Get After Effects tips from Chris & Trish Meyer. Check this out:

motion{u}: Extreme Training With The Pros

motion{u} is a full-day interactive hands-on training* with the pros. Through this small group experience, you will explore new techniques, expand your skill set, and be inspired while working with a superstar in the industry.

Choose from:

- After Effects with Trish & Chris Meyer

- Flash Animation with Stanton Cruse

- Greenscreen | Digital Sets with Alex Lindsay

Saturday, October 10, 2009

9:30AM - 5:00PM

Albuquerque, NM

Cost:

$249 for the full-day.

*BYOL (Bring your own laptop). Seating is limited to 15 per class.

motion{u} takes place the day prior to motion09.

Edited by motion

A good tip for navigating in time:

When you want to go to specific times, it is nice to just click on the timecode in the top left corner of the timeline and type in the frame amount. For example if you want to put your CTI exactly at the 1 second spot, just enter 25 (assuming that your comp fps is 25 of course).

Now here's the great part:

If you want to move the CTI in relation to its current location, type in + or - and then enter the frame number. AE will move the CTI that amount further/backwards from your current position! This can be really helpful if you need to insert several keyframes at specific points in time.

A good tip for navigating in time:

When you want to go to specific times, it is nice to just click on the timecode in the top left corner of the timeline and type in the frame amount. For example if you want to put your CTI exactly at the 1 second spot, just enter 25 (assuming that your comp fps is 25 of course).

Now here's the great part:

If you want to move the CTI in relation to its current location, type in + or - and then enter the frame number. AE will move the CTI that amount further/backwards from your current position! This can be really helpful if you need to insert several keyframes at specific points in time.

This information---and much more---is in the "Move the current-time indicator" section of After Effects Help.

Again, I say that all (really, all) shortcuts are in After Effects Help. The keyboard shortcuts are all collected on the "Keyboard shortcuts" page.

Todd,

I appreciate your frustration, but the search function in AE Help is really confusing when looking up shortcuts. Is it listed under 'Layer' or 'Composition'? - and then having to second guess the proper terminology under which the specific shortcut is listed. It becomes far easier to come onto this forum and ask a human being in real-world terms how to do something. The search function doesn't employ the fuzzy logic it would take to answer a search query like "Split a layer at the current point in time" - to get the oft-used shortcut Ctrl+Shift+D.

With a program as labyrinthine as AE, perhaps you could enable floating tooltips that show keyboard shortcuts to ease new users into AE, which could be turned off once the user is au fait, or turned back on to hunt out time-saving shortcuts. Even for 'invisible' shortcuts such as using the modifier keys when clicking on layer switches, render output modules etc - real hardcore timesavers that no-one knows about, and what's the point in keeping it secret or well-snowed under in the Help section?

And to annoy you even further, there's no shortcut for Trim Comp to Work Area, which I use all the time...it's about time I bothered to use KeyedUp...

and then having to second guess the proper terminology under which the specific shortcut is listed. It becomes far easier to come onto this forum and ask a human being in real-world terms how to do something. The search function doesn't employ the fuzzy logic it would take to answer a search query like "Split a layer at the current point in time" - to get the oft-used shortcut Ctrl+Shift+D.

I'm not annoyed by asking on a forum. That's why I'm on this forum: to answer questions. I don't mind at all being the human search engine. I'll answer with a terse snippet and a link, free of charge---and usually free of snark. ;)

What makes no sense is entering a random set of shortcuts onto this thread, as if this thread will make a better resource for other people coming to read it later.

the search function in AE Help is really confusing when looking up shortcuts. Is it listed under 'Layer' or 'Composition'? -

Look again. I recently put everything on one page so that you don't have to make this guess any more.

shift and scroll wheel to go left and right in the timeline window

command + alt + scroll wheel to zoom in on timeline

wheel in comp window zooms in and out

I cant live without the scroll wheel...I figured these out cause I use the same shortcuts in pro tools pretty much.

It's Command+Option+scroll wheel on a mac.

i ve been searching this everywhere on pc its priceless cntrl+alt+mouse scroll zoom the timeline