Sign in to follow this  
Guest Feniks

Eristoff Visual Arts project

Guest Feniks

Hi there,

i'd like to take a minute from your time to ask you something about a project i'm directing/participating this year.

I hope you don't mind and maybe you have some reactions to it.

Last year Eristoff (wodka-brand) started visual arts as a way to promote visual art-talent in Belgium.

The reactions to last year were very good and therefore they want to go a step further this year.

The main goal of the project is to give artists a opportunity to show their stuff in an original way.

Last year it was formatted in a contest on national TV and a roadshow through events.

This year we'll skip the contest and focus on new ways to bring the content to the crowd.

One thing I proposed to do -and that's also what I nead your opinion about- is for the events we'll do.

It's a 360° panoramical videoprojection, diameter 8m, supported by thx surround sound.

The issue we ran into was who would deliver the content because this is something rather technical

to make and not everyone has te renderpower or hardware to achieve good results.

So i have some questions about it :

1. Would you be willing to create something to display it on such screen ? (with "something" i mean non-commercial)

2. If yes, what would you like to have at your disposal to make the process more comfortable (everyone wants pixar's renderfarm but that's not possible :) )

Maybe a last word on the "something"-issue

(last year i really got flamed by people thinking i was looking for free commercial campagnes for Eristoff).

The video's must be non-commercial, the project is ment to give artists an opportunity to show their visions, their creations.

If you have some questions or remarks, don't hesitate to let me know.

Here's a quick sketch of the setup :

render01.jpg

render10.jpg

kind regards,

Tom

Guest renascent

hehe, any other type of renderfarm then please...

8meters... what kinda resolutions would one have to deliver their work in?

sounds like a challange though i must say.

Guest Feniks

i'm doing a test now at 3072x576, setup 4 camera's with 90° FOV.

This morning i heard that they'll lower the construction to half (now it's 12m high) so it's going to be better to have more camera's for less distortion. Gonna try to render with 6 camera's now (4608x576) 60° FOV.

This week I'm also building a testconstruction to place multiple camera's on to film the 360° at the same time.

Joost, a challenge it is indeed for both hardware and mind :)

I also got confirmation of some big events today and I must say i was pretty impressed. This year's visibility will be huge. I can't say which events yet doh but there's a big musicartist involved.

Guest parallax

Sounds mighty interesting,

You'd probably be running the whole thing off a computer, won't you?

That'll take at least a dual xeon with some exotic graphics card.

A mate of mine did something similar for Thales, but it was a bit smaller in size. They already had difficulty running the thing in real-time off a dual xeon.

Guest soulmobile

We did a very similar insallation for the Milan District local government last year.

It was a little bit smaller: 8m diameter, 3,5m height, 4 projectors (16:9).

Unfortunately when you get to deal with public administration in Italy, some strange dynamics happen: often clients call friends or relatives, instead of professionals, to get some parts of the job done...

Well we tried, but there was no way to check what was goin' on with the video service guys.

So this is what happened:

- PROJECTORS HAD ORIGINALLY TO BE 5, BUT THEY HAD ONLY 4... and they told us when we were at half way our job.

- THE DVD SYNCRONIZER THEY INSTALLED DIDN'T SYNCRONIZE PROPERLY.

- The digital projectors could not fix the deformations given by the inclination of the image projected on the round wall!!!!!

That was so disappointing.

Clients were so happy, anyway...

Installations are so demanding, because you never know what you run into till the guys finish it (usually an our or two before inauguration...).

The best thing would be to have total control , and to be able to test your videos while work is in progress. Ask if you can.

I wish you better luck than we had!

By the way: do this kind of things happen only in Italy?... let me know when you're done.

Guest Feniks

hey soulmobile, sorry to hear that. Whit this project we will test everything in front, also the firm who does the installation is very pro.

I'll let you know how it went after the first test.

Guest soulmobile

yeah feniks! let me know.

It would be cool if you post some pics of the finished piece, too...