Sign in to follow this  
Guest mistahle

cool lowerthirds

Guest mistahle

is there a collection of cool lowerthird animations anywhere? I love those as much as watching the actual intros/outros.

I don't see them much in reels.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's hard to put a lot of that kind of stuff in reels because you get into rights issues over the video that's behind it (anchors, tv personalities, sporting organizations etc.)

Another is that on a reel, you have a very short time to make an impression. Designers tend to put the pieces they like best on a reel and most designers are control freaks who would rather show something where they had control over every pixel and frame rather than something thats 65% someone elses.

The only L3 graphics I can think of online are by places who specialize in news packaging, like http://www.giantoctopus.com , http://www.novo.com , and maybe that Digital Juice stuff.

Guest mistahle

A lowerthird (L3) is a graphic that resides at the lowerthird part of the screen (aka bottom) typically to inform viewers about the name/title of the person on screen or upcoming schedule of a network broadcast.

I agree about the fact that designers are anal control freaks and that lowerthirds are not as valued to be considered demoreel-materials. But if you look at motion graphics for the past five years or so, L3 design is perhaps one of the most, if not the most progressive step that broadcast design has taken. I'm talking about the cool animated namekeys, bumpers that inform and distract viewers at the same time. (and those cool Spike TV bugs!!!)

We have several websites showcasing beautiful design works while these cool, more sublte but no less important designs are nowhere to be found. I think L3 design deserves as much attention as any other designs. And maybe it's time to accept the uncontrollable 65% as part of the process. Hey, the uglier the shot, the better looking L3s are.