Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nhowe

World Cup Spot: MAkinE Studios

Guest Nhowe

I recently wrapped on a new spot for Bimbo Bakeries with Makine Studios for the world cup. Thanks to everybody with Makine you all did an AMAZING job!

check it out!

143669964_5771fd36a1_o.jpg

143669963_1b243200be_o.jpg

We had a lot of fun making it happen and also we had the opportunity to meet Mexican Soccer Legend Jorge Campos.

We wanted to share not only the final result but the process.

We've put together a mini-site with a brief exploration. We hope you have fun browsing and you like this piece.

This is the mini-site address:

Mini-Site and Quicktime

Press Release:

MAkinE studios, an award winning multi-disciplinary creative studio, teamed with Legion Advertising to create a true soccer epic in a new TV spot for Bimbo Bakeries.

The piece, entitled “Campos”, explodes with vibrant colors, vivid symbolic imagery, majestic music and evokes the grand feeling of being present at a match of the century. The graceful union of CGI, live action footage and motion graphics creates a beautifully surreal natural environment that is impossible to forget.

Rising to the challenge of designing the spot for the upcoming FIFA Soccer World Cup, MAkinE artists came up with a strong creative concept that allowed to imaginatively unite the world of Bimbo with the world of soccer. Jorge Campos, a legendary Mexican soccer player, walks onto a glorious, golden wheat field branded with Bimbo’s logo, and under his feet, it magically transforms into a grand soccer stadium as Campos races towards the goal line. Upon this unique creative foundation, MAkinE artists multi-layered a variety of visual elements inspired by the richness of this golden wheat field, creating a piece that is vibrant and ever moving. An added clever twist comes from the play on words: the wheat field (in Spanish “campo”) is the arena where Campos triumphs.

To create this spot, MAkinE team embraced the challenge of realizing a vision that required an unprecedented large scale production behind it. A 60 feet wide and 40 feet deep blue screen set provided the perfect canvas for all the elements that later became the grand wheat soccer field. Two days of intense shooting and ten weeks of post-production were necessary to achieve the perfect balance of all the technical aspects and to successfully tackle the many challenges that come from recreating nature artificially.

And just like Campos, MAkinE scores a victory with this technically and artistically challenging spot that is vibrant, emotionally complex and immensely appealing to the senses.

Credits

Directed by: MAkinE

Executive Producer: Alejandra Padua

Creative Director: Eduardo Garcia

Producers: Mariana Mucci, Yupa Wathanasin

Live Action Director: Hernan Kesserman + Aguirre Films.

Editor: Otto Scheuren

Lead Designer & Compositing: Nate Howe

3D Animation: Blake Newton, Chaz Waters

3D Tracking & Keying: John Robson, Zack Netherlander

Concept Design: Franck Louis-Marie, Michael Zimmerman

Designers: Oksana Badrak, Joshua Smith

About MAkinE Studios

MAkinE Studios is a multidisciplinary, award-winning motion graphic firm. With headquarters in Los Angeles, MAkinE’s award-winning work spans multiple disciplines, from filmmaking, design, animation and interactive media. Founded in 2002, MAkinE is comprised of live-action directors, editors, designers, animators, and artists. Together, they have created award-winning work for some of the world’s most popular brands, including: Qwest, Comcast, Lexus, Mattel, McDonald’s, Toyota, Argent, Chevy, Cingular, H&R Block, 76 and Verizon. MAkinE’s award credits include: Cyber Cannes 2004: Philosophy Wieden + Kennedy Tokyo, Telly Awards 2005: "Breakfast" McDonald’s Use of Animation, "Breakfast" McDonald’s Use of Graphics, "Frida" Si TV, "Subway Soccer" Si TV, "DJ Uppercut" Music Video, BDA: Si TV Network Launch and PROMAX: Si TV Network Launch, D&AD Annual 2006 & THE ONE SHOW 2006 nomination: MAkine website. For more information, please visit MAkinE online at: www.makinestudios.com.

Thanks Again!

Nate Howe

Guest crabbey1

Shit looks amazing man... You are moving up in the world... Good for you... Cheers :D

Guest fredcamino

love it. and thanks for the informative site! i love seeing how things come together on things like this.

Guest Sao_Bento

Looks great. When I saw the style frame on ElectricHeat, I was wondering how close the final could actually come to that, but it looks pretty freakin close. Nice job and thanks for breaking it out on the mini-site.

Guest viruxx

congrats man ! you guys did an amazing job ! :D

always great to see the process of making such a piece

Guest ai

Nice work my only complain would be the goal cage. the cross section is a circle i think and more massive than that. And it's white.

Guest Self_90

Nice work. thanks for showing us tha good work and all the talk. all applause!

Edited by Self_90

Guest jaan

yeah, that's awesome that you guys posted all those goodies about the process. the spot has a great "monumental eye candy" style to it.

Guest MAkinE

Nate

Thanks a lot for your hard work. You really made it happen.

Looking forward to have u here again

Have a freezepop!

MAkinE

Edited by MAkinE

Guest newtonboyy

it was a blast workin with u brutha! except for the days u were there... ohhhhh... kidding, kidding. "if u wanna ride, ride the.... " heheh. get back here so we can work on the next.

Guest mofresh

Shit, well done. Pretty amazing spot and well executed. The overall feel is a little cheesy for me, but its dope none the less.

Thanks also for sharing all that extra stuff with that website, its da boom :D

Guest renatokg

Hello there

I just spent a long time inside the hotsite watching the movie and the making-offs..

nice job you did.. Those particules are the same as you tested with particular?

Nice material

thks for sharing it

Guest jaan

The overall feel is a little cheesy for me, but its dope none the less.

not trying to incite an arguement or anything but...

keep in mind that this spot is for a company that is mexico's equivalent of wonder bread or hostess. i'm actually amazed that they were able to get them to go as far as it did.

Guest Tread

nice work nate.

I just think it's funny how at the end you see in big letters 'BIMBO', considering the american use of the word.

Guest sxoobie

nice work nate.

I just think it's funny how at the end you see in big letters 'BIMBO', considering the american use of the word.

haha.. yeah, thats what I was thinking as well..

the peice is rockin' though, really like the concept art on the site too

Guest mfh

extremely well executed. The expression on his face bugged me sometimes, but otherwise a beautiful spot.

Guest Crypty

Although you are one of my favorite mographers (love the reel), I wasn't really feelin this piece. Technically it's great but the coloring was (IMO) very ugly. It also seems like there were always too many cliche effects goin on all the time like confetti/sparkles, trails on his feet, the ball with the "speed trail" thing goin on. The fact that everything was washed over with a pulsating gold tint didnt work with the color of the sky, it was awkward.

The acting was extremely bad and the fact that the company is called bimbo put it on the cornball side but I know you didn't have anything to do with that.

Edited by Crypty