Sign in to follow this  
Chinaski

Logo - WIP

I need to create a logo for myself. I've decided to brand myself by last name alone.

I thought it wold be cool to have a logo that is reminiscent of 80s heavy metal band logo designs.

So, here is my logo, as it stands, now.

swaab_logo_01.jpg

I'm thinking ultimately of making it chrome.

This is super rough of what that might look like (with bad texture and bad lighting :D )

swaab_logo_01_brushed_metal.jpg

Any thoughts on this? I tried variations where the letters went to different heights, but I didn't really care for it. Right now, I'm happy with this, but if someone has an idea for what could make it better, I'd like to hear it.

awesome!... i like it alot... def beats mine...

flip.jpg

gotta add more to it...so it aint just a font

flip_old.jpg

this is an old one... looks kinda gay... theres no pink in metal!

Edited by FlipSwitch

Guest Sao_bento

I need to create a logo for myself. I've decided to brand myself by last name alone.

I thought it wold be cool to have a logo that is reminiscent of 80s heavy metal band logo designs.

So, here is my logo, as it stands, now.

swaab_logo_01.jpg

I'm thinking ultimately of making it chrome.

This is super rough of what that might look like (with bad texture and bad lighting :D )

swaab_logo_01_brushed_metal.jpg

Any thoughts on this? I tried variations where the letters went to different heights, but I didn't really care for it. Right now, I'm happy with this, but if someone has an idea for what could make it better, I'd like to hear it.

It actually reminds me more of hebrew or arabic than heavy metal. Maybe shaping it in a less horizontal manner would help. (think Kiss Army)

Kiss-army.jpg

Some color would help too, or maybe you need some metal accoutrements like lightning bolts or swords or pyramids with unicorns shooting rockets or something.

I can totally see the Hebrew comment, Sao, since the W looks like a Hebrew letter. That was something I thought about, as well. I may try a variation where I make it straight.

I should also just make clear that I'm not trying to make a heavy metal logo, per se. I think there is some inspiration there, but it is not the end goal.

In my mind, I see something sharp and angular, and I'd like to capture that feeling.

Edited by Chinaski

general problem it has is weight and legability, the underline and wideness throws it off balance, focus of your design goes towards the underline because of the diagonal lines. and the underline closes the negative space of your A's resulting that they read differently making it hard at first sight to see it are A's

always remember when making a logo that it needs to work too when its small, and "less is more"

made a suggestion:

swaab.jpg

Edited by renascent

general problem it has is weight and legability

I agree. I like the look of the logo. Very cool, but it's very hard to make out what it says. (I'm still not sure what it says) I know it's supposed to be abstract, but maybe try to give it a little more legability. Just a thought.

i think it's generally great. for an esoteric audience of designers, the legibility issue is almost nil, and the hebrew/metal connotation is not too relevant to me, because i directly saw neither of those when i looked at it-- i actually saw numerous formal influences, while at the same time it directly reminded me of no other logo i've ever seen (which is a huge plus).

my only critique would be that i feel that the diagonal cut of the left baseliney strokes should correspond exactly to the diagonal created by the upper stroke of the "S", whether on the outer left of the stroke or the inner right of it, depending on how assymmetrical you prefer it to feel.

you should post it on typophile, 10% for the insightful feedback and 90% for the hilarious typography freakazoid zealot hatred it'll probably evoke. especially if you only post it as the 3D render. omg, it'll be hilarious.

also, mostly because of the discrepency in stroke thickness, i feel it works stronger as a a 3D render rather than one-color... which is completely fine considering that 99% of the time it'll ever be seen will be as pixels.

--

one more thing... if it's SWAAB, then there is a big legibility issue. the bottom baseliney stroke should maybe break at the right of the second "A". if it's SWARB, then i think it's fine.

Edited by jaan

Wow, thanks for all the really great feedback and suggestions everybody! Tyopography is not my strength at all, so all these comments are going to help a lot.

The name is SWAAB, not SWARB, so, it seems legibility is a big issue here, especially with that second A. I'm going to try flipping the center part of that A to the left side and see if it helps with readablility. Also, I'll take a look at Jaan's suggestion to break the right line from the second A.

Renascent's suggestions we already know look great, so I'm going to incorporate those.

Jaan, why will it provoke zealot hatred on typofile? Man, that makes me really scared to post it there. I though we were known for not pulling punches with crits - you mean they're worse??? :blink: I did mean to go back and fix up inconsistencies in letter thickness and spacing after the inital layout was settled on. Maybe when this looks a little more final, I'll post it there.

Should also mention, in terms of readability, that I would like it to read correct, if people are trying to read it, but it does not have to be instantly recognizeable. I really love the Mill's logo (http://www.mill.co.uk/), even though you can't read it at all. The audience for this is designers, not end clients.

Edited by Chinaski

i think the primary strength of the logotype is its isometric connotation (great since you do 3D), and incorporating the spade-pointed change on the basliney strokes will nueter that. but i do feel that you need to change the left baseliney strokes to adhere to the dominant formal precedent of the logoform: the use of 3 angles (vert, horizontal, and the 40-degreeish right diagonal... with the one exception of the final angle), and i'd highly suggest you use the diagonal. also, flipping the second A's cross stroke will also hurt it.

the second strength is the escher-esque use of non-uniform thickness in the upper strokes. if you really look at them, especially in the one-color version, you will feel a sensation of spatial ambiguity, which is brilliant IMO. what makes this maneuver even more great is that it blatantly ignores the typographic principle of uniwidth stroke. when you "break" such a fundamental rule with such a great direct result, that is when typographic magic occurs and is very rare. it's easy to do great typography if you just follow all the principles, but true innovation in type is pretty scarce. ... ... it's this uniwidth issue is what will create all the tomato throwing on typophile by those zealots who can't see the forest from the trees. they'll demand you drop down the inner point of the angle joint in order to maintain the uniwidth.

the third thing i love is the inverted diagonal of the B, which is the final visual angle of the logoform. it gives a great final punctuation while also implementing some quasi-symmetry, and amplifying the "isometric 3D physical structure" aspect (because it resembles a support beam on a house frame)... it's a total check-mate maneuver. however, it might look better if it's an exact inversion of the diagonal (i could be wrong, but it seems like an arbitrary angle right now).

i feel like i rarely see a logo that's genuinely innovative, candyish, and non-derivative. congratulations. unless of course, you mess it up with revisions. just joking. kinda.

Edited by jaan

i think the primary strength of the logotype is its isometric connotation (great since you do 3D), and incorporating the spade-pointed change on the basliney strokes will nueter that. but i do feel that you need to change the left baseliney strokes to adhere to the dominant formal precedent of the logoform: the use of 3 angles (vert, horizontal, and the 40-degreeish right diagonal... with the one exception of the final angle), and i'd highly suggest you use the diagonal. also, flipping the second A's cross stroke will also hurt it.

the second strength is the escher-esque use of non-uniform thickness in the upper strokes. if you really look at them, especially in the one-color version, you will feel a sensation of spatial ambiguity, which is brilliant IMO. what makes this maneuver even more great is that it blatantly ignores the typographic principle of uniwidth stroke. when you "break" such a fundamental rule with such a great direct result, that is when typographic magic occurs and is very rare. it's easy to do great typography if you just follow all the principles, but true innovation in type is pretty scarce. ... ... it's this uniwidth issue is what will create all the tomato throwing on typophile by those zealots who can't see the forest from the trees. they'll demand you drop down the inner point of the angle joint in order to maintain the uniwidth.

the third thing i love is the inverted diagonal of the B, which is the final visual angle of the logoform. it gives a great final punctuation while also implementing some quasi-symmetry, and amplifying the "isometric 3D physical structure" aspect (because it resembles a support beam on a house frame)... it's a total check-mate maneuver. however, it might look better if it's an exact inversion of the diagonal (i could be wrong, but it seems like an arbitrary angle right now).

i feel like i rarely see a logo that's genuinely innovative, candyish, and non-derivative. congratulations. unless of course, you mess it up with revisions. just joking. kinda.

I understand 3 of these words.

Although keep in mind that the non-uniform thickness doesn't work very well in a 1 color version. My eye is immediately drawn to the crease on the "ascenders". It pinches alot on the connection.

The 3d render works well though due to the highlights (specifically on the w) balancing out the connection. It's really a matter of usage, If a 3d render is the general display than I think it works really well. If it will be often displayed flat than I would disagree with jaan and side with the typophile zealots that want to make it uniform.

just my 0.02

have you considered it's relevance to what you have going in the design of your website? It meshes to a degree... skulls always go with rock and roll, but your site is more of a midevil/catacomb death feel, rather than rock and roll death... if that makes any sense.

im having a hard time reading Swaab out of that, but it doesn't completely turn me off. the S is whats giving me a hard read....i keep seeing it as a J.

i also like the idea of combining two letters into one shape. the bottom line feels like its cluttering the rest. i wonder how it would look to open up the kerning and/or straighten out some of the angled strokes, to add some variety.

the last thing i want to say is that it looks a little bit like the Lambo (www.lambo.la) logo. i like where you're heading though, i think it just needs a little extra touch (like the arrows at the bottom of the M in Metallica).

Damn, Jaan! Nice words. I only wish I was doing half of that stuff intentionally! I guess it is easy to break rules when you don't know them. I do still want to try a version with consistent thickness through the letters, because I haven't looked at it that way. That way, at least I've seen it and can rule it out or keep it.

Boost, aggressive is good! I do "safe" work all the time professionally. When it comes to my personal work, like this or my website, I want to push hard to make a statement.

Tread, yes, I did consider the interplay between my website and this logo, and I don't think they go together at all, and I am okay with that. I actually had started doing a demo open with the type-face on my website a long time ago but never finished because I got bored with it. The reason I'm going in this direction is simply that I don't like to repeat myself too much. I've gone down the intricate gothic/floral thing with my website and Icarus piece. I haven't tried this yet, so for me, it is new - to do something simple and bold, without any fluff. And the animation will be the same way - simple, clean, and bold.

Good logos can be some of the hardest things to design I think.

It reminds me of the peavey logo a little due to it's pointed edges. I would try to make it a little more legible.

Peavey%20Logo.JPG

I'm liking #3 too, but that S is still bugging me. i feel like the middle stroke of it should be angled back to the left, or the bottom stroke could be angled down to run in the same direction as the top stroke. (does that even make sense? :unsure: )