Sign in to follow this  
alex

slick logo intro's

hi everyone

great forum!

to start with ive bin using after effects for 6 months now and create tv commercials for music cd releases

but have now been pushed to doing very slick company logo intros and am finding it hard to get something looking slick. ive been told that a intro doesnt need to be complicated but just needs to be simple and slick

with the use of light source.

so does anybody have any links to really slick and simple after effects company logo animations with maybe the use of light source, and if anybody has any tips for doing this kind of thing?

im a stressed 20 yr old being stuck in the deep end

so if any one can help me then i would appreciate it

so much!

thanks again

alex

Ca't htink of any off the top of my head but theres a section in total training DVD that does exactly this.

It explains well how to place and animate light source working with shadow options and depth of field.

Might be worth checking out if you get stuck with the technique.

Guest Sao_bento

The subtext of what's going on here is that you've still got a lot of learning to do. It would be nice if someone would just tell you the whole story and you could just start out on the same level as everyone else. Unfortunately, no one learns that way - it won't work. Wether it's learning the language necessary to describe something you want to accomplish or simply spending time with the software, you've got to do the bulk of the work yourself if you want to get a real answer to your question. In the process of getting up to speed, you'll be amazed at how many answers you come up with yourself.

Guest Sao_bento

Ayato's stuff is ok, but it's not a substitute for learning the basics. That site reminds me of a lot of the books on 3D apps that are out there - "step 1, set this to this parameter" without ever explaining how that parameter was arrived at. Kind of like writing letters/characters without being able to read the language.

Ayato's stuff is ok, but it's not a substitute for learning the basics. That site reminds me of a lot of the books on 3D apps that are out there - "step 1, set this to this parameter" without ever explaining how that parameter was arrived at. Kind of like writing letters/characters without being able to read the language.

Yeah you could say "learn the basics of design" but sounds like this dude just wants a quick lesson for a "slick logo." Sending people to the "calf" isn't going to teach them the basics either...

Guest Sao_bento

Sending people to the "calf" isn't going to teach them the basics either...

Well then spend as much time as you want explaining it.

slick

adj 1: having a smooth, gleaming surface; "glossy auburn hair"; "satiny gardenia petals"; "sleek black fur"; "silken eyelashes"; "silky skin"; "a silklike fabric"; "slick seals and otters" [syn: glossy, satiny, sleek, silken, silky, silklike] 2: made slick by e.g. ice or grease; "sidewalks slick with ice"; "roads are slickest when rain has just started and hasn't had time to wash away the oil" 3: having only superficial plausibility; "glib promises"; "a slick commercial" [syn: glib, pat] 4: marked by skill in deception; "cunning men often pass for wise"; "deep political machinations"; "a foxy scheme"; "a slick evasive answer"; "sly as a fox"; "tricky Dik"; "a wily old attorney" [syn: crafty, cunning, dodgy, foxy, guileful, knavish, sly, tricksy, tricky, wily] n 1: a slippery smoothness; "he could feel the slickness of the tiller" [syn: slickness, slipperiness, slip] 2: a magazine printed on good quality paper [syn: slick magazine] 3: a film of oil or garbage floating on top of water 4: a trowel used to make a surface slick v 1: make slick or smooth [syn: sleek] 2: give a smooth and glossy appearance; "slick one's hair" [syn: slick down, sleek down]

"a slick commercial" [...] marked by skill in deception;

That really stood out as I (mis)read it.

With this part

adj 1: having a smooth, gleaming surface; [...] 2: give a smooth and glossy appearance; "slick one's hair" [syn: slick down, sleek down]

maybe this piece of software could do the trick.

hi thanks for the replys

its not that i cant animate, i just need some guidance on how to make something LOOK slick,

ive got pretty much all the plugins like trapcode etc

i meen if you guys were going to give someone some top tips

for creating a nice slick 4 second intro, what would you say?

cheers

alex

just to make it clear I HATE PLUGINS SUCH AS TRAPCODE

so dont go thinking i love these tacky tools.

im not asking for anyone to tell me how to design, im asking on tips

to this side of production... which is why im asking does anybody

know of any sites that represent this, so i can get an idea of how to

go bout it. lol

dont wanna start any arguments!! lol :)

alex

I can't say that I know anything about making slick logo animations... nor do I want to for that matter.

A slick looking logo that can't go through a fax machine a couple of times is pretty useless and I would argue that the same applies in mograph, the idea behind the animation should be apparent in the execution and not rely on plug-ins or trends.

I recommend working with pen and paper, storyboard the logo animation, let your imagination go. Don't let your skills at the computer dictate the result. Most importantly, study the logo and what it stands for.

Go online and study (frame by frame) end tags and bumpers from any and all of the great mograph studios you will find, with a few exceptions, that a basic understanding of the inherent properties of the existing logo is what makes the animation great (or slick, if you like).

just to make it clear I HATE PLUGINS SUCH AS TRAPCODE

so dont go thinking i love these tacky tools.

Tacky? Trapcode makes a lot of great plug-ins.

The problem isn't the plug-ins, it's the umpteen-gazillion tacky uses of it that look the same, going about 1 or 2 steps beyond the presets built-in. And FWIW, Particular is an amazing plug-in that barely gets utilized to its fullest, same goes for Echospace.

Yeah, Shine "light rayz" are overdone, but Shine can be used for simple glow effects that look great.. not just the "sweep through the letters" effect.

Don't be a hater!

Guest Sao_bento

nice... you know your logo is going to be amazing when the company that makes the program has a logo like that.

oh shit, and its version 5 now, I better upgrade!

I'm pretty sure this is the same app that Saul Bass and Paul Rand used to use - of course it ran on an Altair back then. . .