Sign in to follow this  
UNIKFREK

FONT MANAGEMENT

We have 5 designers here, each with a ton of individual fonts. The IT peeps would like us to move all our fonts onto the XSAN for all to share - eliminating the need for duplicate fonts on multiple machines.

Do any of you have any insight/experience with this?

I have a couple worries of moving fonts over to a network:

1. The ability for each designer to customize font folders [i.e. sort by style or specific project]

2. An overload of activated fonts [possibly causing AI, Photoshop, or AE to load/run slower]

We have 2 options of font management systems - Linotype FontExplorer X and FontBook.

Hit me up with any thoughts. :rolleyes:

Muchas Gracias.

Edited by UNIKFREK

i think that you will be faced with a buttload of technical issues. i was at a post house when they started doing this and the program they were using was continually crashing. basically, is your IT person really really good? otherwise it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. nothing holds up your process more than not being able to access your fonts.

do you use so many different fonts and share so many projects that this would actually be *more* efficient? i use like 3 versions of helvetica and then some random fonts here and there, but i don't share projects often so it would never be worth it to serverize where i am at. so yeah, weigh the benefits against the technical issues. unless your IT person is a god of computery.

We use Suitcase. It's pretty sweet. I went through and organized our 10k+ fonts into folders (Serif, San-Serif, Grunge, etc.) and then once they are organized in folders, then you can drop that whole folder into Suitcase and it will create a set. We don't have Suitcase server yet, which would allow sharig of a central font system. But with our setup, the only downside is about once a year, we will have to categorize all the fonts we have recieved from clients or downloaded, erase the folder on our hard drives where we store our fonts, and just copy the new fonts folder from the SAN. Then it takes about 10 minutes to drop the category folders into Suitcase and have it create the sets. Suitcase pretty much never crashes, and works really well. That's our workflow.

The idea here is to set up a system where each designer works off of the XSAN completely, to allow us to access anybody's project easily and efficiently. We still are in the process of doing this. Overall, IT would like each workstation to be identical to one another so that people can move around freely and jump on other projects.

I, myself, have a ton of font collections. I use a lot of different fonts for each project. And I completely rely on my own way of grouping fonts by style.

IT stil does not know exactly how to deal with this issue, that's why I'm taking the initiative to find out what you guys and gals do.

Font mangers for pc and mac users.

For PC's

http://www.bitstorm.org/fontlist - FREE

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html - FREE

For Mac's

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX - FREE

suitcase

I would think that putting all the fonts on a network may cause many issues but don't have any experience with it. Let us all know how it turns out.

Unfortunately, you guys may need to come to an agreement as designers how to create a standard. Fonts are just like a work folder, if you don't use some basic form of organization, you will spend more time looking for a font and less time using the font and in the end you hieghten your chances of corrupt fonts. If you were using a work folder, and people were just throwing their own stuff in their and using naming conventions that they are used to, you would have a disaster of a work folder in a very short period of time. I understand that you guys have your own way of working and perceiving fonts and it is difficult trying to retrain your design workflow. Suitcase server may be one of your few choices for font management on a central server, but if you are not keeping a unified way of organization, it will become a total disaster in months. The biggest problem we came to was exactly what you were concerned about...so we got all these fonts on a central server, now what happens if we want to add another 50 fonts. For now, we decided on creating a standard folder and copying a version of that locally and then about once a year updating that folder and copying it again. I went through all the difficult crap first (categorizing the folder) now the yearly update will be pretty painless. I can keep you posted if we move to Suitcase server, but I am not sure what the plans are for that (especially because suitcase server costs 2k just for the server part). I know this may be not what you are looking for and I hope you find what you are!

PS: Be careful with things like Font book...if you have 5000 fonts and you categorize in Font Book, they move them all to your Font folder, Suitcase leaves your fonts where they are and references them...the dangerous thing about what Font book does is that this can cause certain program to freak out and crash.

Edited by BOY:1:DER

i didnt read all this but i've used ATM for like 9 years or some shit and it's always been more than enough for me

No longer available on OS X :angry: It was definitely the best!

Guest Sao_bento

The idea here is to set up a system where each designer works off of the XSAN completely, to allow us to access anybody's project easily and efficiently.

Note that Linotype Font Explorer does not work in a situation where your home directories are remotely hosted. Font Agent Pro does though.

I have tried so many of these font apps and they all blow except for one called Font Expert 2005.

Thats what I use now. No problems with it. It installs shortcuts rather than the font itself, which makes them very easy to clean out occasionally. The preview tools are also great.

Heres a screeny:

untitled1xc9.th.jpg

Edited by Crypty

PS: Be careful with things like Font book...if you have 5000 fonts and you categorize in Font Book, they move them all to your Font folder, Suitcase leaves your fonts where they are and references them...the dangerous thing about what Font book does is that this can cause certain program to freak out and crash.

On a related note,

do any of you have any font issues with Microsoft Office 2004 on a mac? Most of us here have the same issue upon opening Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel. An error msg pops up saying that such and such font is corrupt and must be deleted. This list goes on and on and on and does not allow you to bypass clicking OK. We must force quit.

I have personally checked through font book for corrupt fonts and duplicate fonts. I have gone through a series of troubleshooting to alleviate any font issues and still, Microsoft Office refuses to play nice.

Have any of you experienced this issue?

Guest Sao_bento

On a related note,

do any of you have any font issues with Microsoft Office 2004 on a mac? Most of us here have the same issue upon opening Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel. An error msg pops up saying that such and such font is corrupt and must be deleted. This list goes on and on and on and does not allow you to bypass clicking OK. We must force quit.

I have personally checked through font book for corrupt fonts and duplicate fonts. I have gone through a series of troubleshooting to alleviate any font issues and still, Microsoft Office refuses to play nice.

I fixed it by deleting microsoft office.

On a related note,

Usually this is less of an issue of corrupt fonts and more of an issue by the number of fonts loaded in the system at one time. I remember the first time I tried Font book, I had a number of apps that acted like this, I couldn't even get combustion to open, it would just bug out on startup.

To Sao's point, you could always try NeoOffice. It's a sweet Open Source alternative to Microsoft office and is pretty solid...although if you need entourage, NeoOffice can't help. ;)

thanks for the link... but if I have to used that blasted x11 to install it, forget it. it isn't worth the trouble.

That's what NeoOffice is mete_shop...it's an open source microsoft office alternative (it might be mac only though). And if you are on the Mac, TextEdit will open .doc files.

I unfortunately cannot get rid of Microsoft Office, because everyone in the company uses it and we need to continually access it for e-mail, expense reports, and opening up text documents.

Yes, I know of other ways to open .doc files.

These problems have only occurred for us with the newest version of Office. The previous version posed no major issues.

That's what NeoOffice is mete_shop...it's an open source microsoft office alternative (it might be mac only though). And if you are on the Mac, TextEdit will open .doc files.

I initially read NecroOffice. Does that make me weird?