Sign in to follow this  
mariachi82

Harsh critics for this animation please

This is my first post here :D I'm a self taught animator/composer in the Dominican Republic, working on a production company where I do all the CG and effects. Basically, I'm looking for feedback on my work in order to improove, and I was reffered to this forum for that purpose since lots of talented and skilled people come here. Objective feedback, harsh critics and sugestions please :)

3 weeks, 3ds max, vray, Photoshop and Freehand. The soundtrack/voice over are the 2 things I didnt do on this piece.

9mb quicktime: http://www.lmvstudio.com/forumpixxs/nestor...maltamorena.mov

Edited by mariachi82

hello mariachi

-i'm not too fond of the continuous radial ramp. too overburn for me. the graphc light rays at the end are a better solution IMO. some cartoon characters look a bit dull and dark like the two guys in red. there is some contrast but the clip doesn't look too shiny despite your attempt to boost the background.

-the camera work is ok but some shots are a bit misleading like when the camera pan left at the beginning before introducing the two little guys.

my strongest complain is that the background make the foreground look very dark but maybe it looks different on tv.

cool stuff. I would remove the fast zoom on the second time the red drops come down the rollar coaster. It zooms in and then out (no need for the in). The dip to white is not working either, a simple smooth cut would be better. Also the font at the end is kind of hard to read for such a short moment. Aside from that everything else looks pretty cool.

Already have replies :D!

Jan- I did some color correction on the master, but overall the colors where as saturated as shown here. With the stop-motioned kids I simply hated the final look, but thats the best I could pull off since I ran into the deadline :(.

2Dfine- agree on the simple cut thing. That was a client's request, wich I left after thinking "perhaps its a better solution and I'm dead wrong here". I'm taking that out for my backup render, thanks.

Any more comments? Critics? Thank you all for your thoughs, you make fundamented and valid comments wich I sincerely appreciate. Just soaking on your knowledge here :D

Edited by mariachi82

I really liked how you animated the rollercoaster tracks getting built. Did you do that with a optimize modifier?

Whatever you did, it worked really well. I think you need a specular pass.

good stuff!!!!

xout - The arrows are simple models using a world space path deform. I just made the path and animated the position value.

quez - the rollercoasters were simple booleans of 2 splines with extrude modifers. I instanced the operators so I could manipulate and change them according to each shot, then added FFD to make the turns. I used a Grow modifier to animate the build-up and finally a Laticce modifier to create the grid geometry. The Laticce was set on top so It would work on the animated geometry below to give that weird morphing-like look.

About the specular pass: Agreed taht I could have tweaked everythig much more. I actually rendered each element on a single pass :( I was so overwhelmed by all the layers that having 4-7 passes for each one (in some shots I had like 70+ layers in composition already, if I had used pasees that would meant 200-400 layers easyly) was just way out of my computing power If I wanted to deliver on time.

Edited by mariachi82

great work- really nice sense of color, which adds a lot to something like this. the palette is really strong, yet restrained- you didn't use too many colors. the cel-shaded outline around all the elements was a great touch. really well done overall!!