Sign in to follow this  
nybe

fun with film...

Okay just been through a crueling couple of days dealing with outputing a project to film..

Sizing to "flat and scope," anamorphic or not - aside (still trying to wrap my head around all that)...

has anyone had any experience with "linear" vs. "log?" or "LUT" values?

I know AE7 has some new color settings that go well beyond 16bit, have any of you had to bump up to "32 bits per chanel (floating)" for any reason?

I could look it all up at some point in the manual today but wanted to see if ya'll had any insight.

thx

UPDATE:

found this on Adobe, Work with Natural Light in HDR

and this:

After Effects 32-bit Workflow In-Depth, you might find interesting about AE7

Edited by nybe

unless you are working in shake and have your monitor dialed into the film-out device. . .it's much easier to work in 16bit lin (which is native to after effects) and let the finishing house (Pac title, SSI, Complete Post, Company 3, Fotokem, etc) be responsible for final color correction which will include a lin to log conversion. . .

the reason is that Pac Title's lin to log is dialed in to their output. (or is supposed to be)

you will still want to supervise and make additional color corrections. The gamma values will often look very different once in Flame or Inferno.

If you are doing photoreal CG and have assets that are 32bits then the new mode in after effects is great. . .but if it's type-driven and designerly/abstract you will most likely not GAIN much because it's gonna get squeezed down to 10bit log in the Inferno anyway!

Make friends with the finishers and run some tests with them. . .they are usually techy and gear heads and are very helpful.

Make friends with the finishers and run some tests with them. . .they are usually techy and gear heads and are very helpful.

thanks for the info.

I am building the job over at Laser Pacific and doing exactly that; making friends with everyone and asking way too many questions. It's amazing how much stuff you can cram into one brain.

another FYI, this guy helped create some of The Orphanages plugins, pretty good info on his blog about this stuff:

PROLOST

Guest Sao_bento

thanks for the info.

I am building the job over at Laser Pacific and doing exactly that; making friends with everyone and asking way too many questions. It's amazing how much stuff you can cram into one brain.

another FYI, this guy helped create some of The Orphanages plugins, pretty good info on his blog about this stuff:

PROLOST

Yep, Prolost had a good end-to-end film workflow up. You might have to look in the archives now, but I highly recommend it.