Sign in to follow this  
JR01

Render Farm-HD

mean while back to my HD questions.....

What's the best render farm solution for After Effects. We're doing some tests trying to figure out best way to do HD. I was very excited about the G5. Not familiar with mac but I know the G5 is the old quad processors. We are getting new Intel G5's next week for testing. The G5 was fast. However we just tested a dual-core 3.4 opteron pc with 4gigs of ram running windows 64 bit. It was running as fast as the G5. We are adding another processor this week making it a quad. All apps & plugins ran very good on the 64 bit system and so far very impressed...just thought I would share this info. I'm curious about the shoot-out with the intel mac.

The render farm is totally new to this station, so any help would be great.

Thanks

JR

thehive

is anyone using a render farm for AE...or is this a really retard question? So my understanding is you have to load the network render engine & plugins on all the render farm computers. What's the ideal configuration, how many computers are best. According to Adobe you can have to many computers rendering which will only slow the process down. They suggest experimenting to find out how many and what's the best configuration to work for your needs. Render farming sounds good in theory, but it's starting to look like a lot of trouble. Adobe can't copy more then 2gig files over the network(which makes sense). So after you collect your files you have to manually move the files to render, which working in HD would be a lot of files over 2gig.

My final thought....HD is a real pain in the ass. Being a TV station with quick-turnarounds on projects, finding a fast solution to HD is proving to be a challenge. Maybe a render farm isn't the way to go and we will have to suffer until processor power becomes faster to handle HD.

yeah, I know this sounds like the rambling of an idiot

JR

the short response to your post is. . .intel G5's will be running your apps under rosetta translation until the software is binary! That means for now, they'll be a little slow (when compared to non-Intel or a PC)

I've built mac and pc renderfarms and found that in raw horse-power, the pc's are faster for rendering. That doesn't mean that your Pipeline would be faster! You have to consider how your artists are working, what kind of workstations they are on and what kind of server (if any) you are working off. If you to spend hours simplifying, collecting and troubleshooting bad frames, you can easily lose any time gained from having a farm!

i've used www.boxxtech.com to build 3d workstations and render nodes. their customer service is top notch. . .when you call, you talk to an engineer! (not someone i india being prompted by messages on a screen)

ok, my last test posted until I get my hands on the new G5 with intel chips. Just did some test rendering on a 2 dual-core Opteron 2.4 making it a quad, running windows 64. It was on average 12 to 15 seconds faster than the G5. I did not test Cinema4d 64, but Cinema4d did recognized all 4 processors when rendering. It was very very fast. So for HD I'm leaning more towards the quad PC. But like stated before, have yet to test a G5 with intel chipset.

I'm just posting for anyone having to go down this road and best deal with HD. We're just trying to find the fastest solution. Not only for AE/Cinema4d, but also things like Curious Maps.

Thanks

JR

thehive

Guest fletty

But like stated before, have yet to test a G5 with intel chipset.

you'll find it's actually called a 'mac pro', not g5 with intel... ;)