Sign in to follow this  
romeoinferno

How to make 3d layers wrap around?

well heres how i would do this project.

shoot my footage, motion track it so that my 3d follows the motion of the dancers. then i would draw masks around where i want my 3d to show and not to show.

im really not sure how else best to describe this. draw masks where you want to subtract things, which would be anything that goes behind the footage. you could also maybe cheat it somehow by shooting greenscreen, and using the green as an inverse alpha matte.

yes every frame was rotoscoped. i wouldnt find it that crazy to do. i busted out more intense rotos then that in a long LONG weekend.

hmmm... well i'll take ur word on it. thats a bitch to do... But that doesn solve my question. I wanted to know how to bend 3d layers in after effects. If i wanna wrap one 3d layer over another one.

you cant do that in after effects. those were done in a 3d app. i mean you can "bend" things. but its not true 3d.

Le Mooo

Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not, but I thought I'd link it for your anyway :)

Yea, i saw this tutorial a while ago... Im really bad with expressions. But this tutorial proves that bending a 3d layer in AE is possible.

Well... I think its time for me to buy a book on expressions.

Thanx for the link btw

Edited by romeoinferno

I've gotten similar effects in AE with boris cylinder. You can separate the front face from the back face which lets you put the front of the spiraling object in front of the element and the back behind.

you cant do that in after effects. those were done in a 3d app. i mean you can "bend" things. but its not true 3d.

this tutorial proves that bending a 3d layer in AE is possible.

No, it does not. Nothing gets bent in that tutorial, the letters of the text are still flat. To quote the tutorial itself:

Although the characters themselves will not have depth they will flow smoothly through 3D space and around and interact with other objects in the scene.

In other words, the characters are lots of 2d layers, not one geometric object that gets bent. The only thing that is "bent" is the path upon which the layers travel.

Guest Sao_bento

hmmm... well i'll take ur word on it. thats a bitch to do... But that doesn solve my question. I wanted to know how to bend 3d layers in after effects. If i wanna wrap one 3d layer over another one.

If that's how you feel about a little roto,you need to seek a job in the fast food industry - take my word for it.

Alternately, you may become a producer.

Just to help you cope with your future, check out this spot by Impactist - 14,000 still photos to deal with - quit while you're ahead.

http://www.impactist.com/projectpages/peac...MPpeaceqt7.html

p.s. those shortcuts aren't worth it. if you have access to a 3d app, any 3d app you should learn how to use it. do you really want to end up looking like the guy in the final render? that's what happens when you spend all your time learning how to fake 3d with expressions. it's scary.

Dudes, there's nothing 3D about it. Just cut your graphic up in 2 layers, 1 behind the talent, 1 in front of you talent.

Alternatively, use RPF/RLA whatnot files to extract the depth matte, duplicate layer->invert, see 1st option. (front-behind)

If that's how you feel about a little roto,you need to seek a job in the fast food industry - take my word for it.

Alternately, you may become a producer.

Just to help you cope with your future, check out this spot by Impactist - 14,000 still photos to deal with - quit while you're ahead.

Damn Sao... whats up with the harsh words man? "you need to seek a job in the fast food industry". That really hurts! Im not scared of a lil roto... Im just saying sometimes its a bitch... Im allowed to say that right?

Jeez... sorry :(

Dudes, there's nothing 3D about it. Just cut your graphic up in 2 layers, 1 behind the talent, 1 in front of you talent.

Alternatively, use RPF/RLA whatnot files to extract the depth matte, duplicate layer->invert, see 1st option. (front-behind)

i went through that one frame by frame and didn't see any 3d.....

Damn Sao... whats up with the harsh words man? "you need to seek a job in the fast food industry". That really hurts! Im not scared of a lil roto... Im just saying sometimes its a bitch... Im allowed to say that right?

Jeez... sorry :(

i think he was just trying to say that a lot of greenish mographers don't realize that nearly all exceptional mograph projects are a result of lots and lots of highly skilled people hours, regardless of technique. asking what plugin to use, as if it can magically zap your solution into existence, is an all-too common question.

also keep in mind that for something as big profile (and big invoiced) as a gap commercial, there is no such thing as too much rotoscoping.

look at me, i'm being sao's apologist. i'm on this board way too much.